icon

Help design ported box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tmorefi 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2005 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
I've built many sealed boxes over the years but never a ported one. I want to build a ported box for 2 Image Dynamics ID8v.3's. The sub specs say (.6cuft, 34hz, with port dimensions 2"ID x 12"). The max space I have on all dimensions are (12"x16"x22"). Can somebody help me design this box and how to do the port?
handy 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2005 at 3:25 PM / IP Logged  
Is it .6 cuft. per sub?
tmorefi 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2005 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
It says that on the spec sheet so I assume it's per sub... Here's a link to the sub spec sheet.
http://www.imagedynamicsusa.com/website/tech/ID8D4V3.pdf
I assume I would have the port in the middle of the 2 subs but don't necessarily know the how to do all of the dimensions.
tmorefi 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2005 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
Here's my first stab. The only dimension not listed is the height. I figured it would be 10" tall. Close?
Help design ported box -- posted image.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2005 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
Your design is too large.  If each sub wants 0.6 cuft ported enclosure you'll want to change the depth on the above design to something closer to 10" rather than 14".  Those subs are actually more suited to use in a sealed enclosure around 0.4 cuft.
Support the12volt.com
tmorefi 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2005 at 7:46 PM / IP Logged  
I thought I was at about 1.2 cuft combined for this box which seems right for .6 ea.. You say these would be much better off sealed? I'm trying to get as much spl out of these 8's as possible because it'll be in boat.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2005 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
Take your inner dimenasion length X width X height and divide that by 1728 to get cubic feet.  Your design is roughly 22 X 14 X 10 = 3080 cubic inches, divided by 1728 = 1.78 cubic feet.  If your number are outer measurements, assuming you use 3/4" MDF then you are much closer at 1.26 cuft.  According to the Image Dynamics web site these subs are designed for sealed enclosures, but using them vented is an option as long as you do not overpower them.  The difference in SPL is shown on the page you linked and is the peak around the tuning frequency.
Support the12volt.com
tmorefi 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2005 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
Just a random thought. Could I do 4 of these ID 8's (2 back to back) in a sealed enclosure? Would that blow away the 2 ported 8's on the spl side? Can you have subs back to back like this? I have a Hifonics Brutus BX1500D that I need to use for these so it seems like I have enough power.       
Help design ported box -- posted image.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 05, 2005 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
No way, Jose.  Keep all the subs facing the same direction.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
tmorefi 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2005 at 1:31 AM / IP Logged  
what if i put a wall between the 2 sets. i suppose that would work, right? 4 sealed 8's better then the 2 ported?
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic