icon

Flashing LED and passive starter kill

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
szwliew 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2002 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

First, tell me what you think of my starter kill. 

It's pretty much like the one on this website, except I did not connect it to the starter.  I connected it to the clutch "safety switch" that must be activated for the car to start. 

It works fine in operation, but I am wondering if a thief could get around it by hotwiring the car some way.

Second question:  I want to install a flashing LED also, how do I do that? 

SnomanF150 
Silver - Posts: 269
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2002 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  

Just a suggestion for the starter kill on a standand.. what good is it when you can still push start the car?  when we do kills in my shop, if you have a standard transmission, we put ignition kill on, not the starter.. that way the starter will still turn, but not start.. even when you try to push start it.. you can push start a car if the ign is on without going to the start postion.. just turning the flywheel.. I would change it..

That clutch safty switch if just an interuption of the starter wire..

One way I have done a passive starter/ign kill is to wire a relay normal open and to have it trigger but turning on parking lights or rewireing the cig. lighter as sort of a second key.. in order for the car to start, you have to have the cig lighter pushed in and then start with the key... something a would-be thief wouldn't think of... I guess until now after he reads this..  if you want more info on this type of 'key' system, email me..

George
David's Car Stereo
Baton Rouge, LA
Player69 
Silver - Posts: 504
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2002 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  
If the thief wants it bad enough to push start it, he can have it as far as I am concerned :)
szwliew 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2002 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks, after i installed it, I was wondering about the push-start. 

So for the ignition kill, I just use the ignition wire?  I'm not sure how those systems work, but on my car i have 2 ignition wires.

I thought of the cig-lighter as a switch, but didn't try it.  I was unsure of two things.

1.  Would the lighter still get hot?  Could that eventually damage any of the wiring?

2. If I make it so the cigarette lighter does NOT get hot, will it still pop out after a few seconds?

go2pac 
Copper - Posts: 179
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2002 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  

You need to find the true ignition wire (typically ignition1 if you are going by alarm wire codes) that is used to power up the BCM. But either one may work also.

1. If you disconnect the positive side to the socket then no it won't get hot. Nothing can be damaged.

2. You can make the lighter pop back out but that would require that the socket be on accessory instead of constant.

If you want a flashing led to simulate an alarm when the key is out,  then you need to get an led that has a built in flasher and connect the negative lead to accessory and the positive lead to constant.

Karl
Pacific Accessory Corporation
Mobile Audio Interfacing Equipment
Connecting You to Your Music Since 1976

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic