icon

Alpine Break in

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 11:59 AM / IP Logged  
Jl amps and Alpine digital amps are about as differant setup wise as possible. My recommendations for input settiings are from the designer of the amps himself. the parametric eq is as important as the input level when it comes to max performance of the amp. Alpines input level is nominal at 0 db. The -6 and -9 settings are for higher voltage RCA outs.
bumpingjeep 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 12:15 PM / IP Logged  

i know that you said that the manual wasn't much help but read it anyway...and this time try not to look for the easy answer...like tcss stated...these alpine amps are very different from a lot of other amps set up wise...sounds like you spent a lot of money on this bad boy...do it some justice and read the manual...yes you heard me...read...don't just look for pictures and a quick fix...if you do this i would venture to say that you wont be dissapointed with that amp

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
The manual that comes with the amp is almost useless. It gives no recomendations it just tells what button does what. I did however find a setup guide for the MRD-M501 that has proven quite helpful. I think I've got it close to where I want it but still some songs sound great and others have much less SPL. I'll figure it out though. Should I set the EQ on my Alpine HU to the same as the amp?
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 2:25 PM / IP Logged  
No, this would put way too much stress on the inputs. Use the head unit EQ to fine tune after you have adjusted the amp inputs.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  

This is how the manual says to set the gain I think.

(it says to do these three steps before anything else)

1) Gradually increase the volume until the display starts flashing.

2) Decrease the volume until it stops flashing.

3) Gradually increase the volume control again until the "over" indicator starts flashing.

Adjusting the Input Level

1) Press the input mode button left or right or up and down until input is displayed.

2) Press the ENT button

3) Press the < or > mode button until Level is displayed

4) Press the ENT button

5) use the < or > buttons to adjust the input level (it can either go from .1 to 2 volts or .5 to 8 volts).

Those directions were on pages 9 and 10 of the manual...

I'm pretty sure you were looking at the "gain factor" instead (I have no idea what that is). I'd set it at 0. Turn the parametric EQ and Bass compensation off also.

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
I'm wonderng if there is another manual that I don't have cause that is not on those pages of mine. Also I see no "Over" indicator. I have however set it to tcss's recomendations and I really think it is set properly. The speaker now has over 15 hours of low to moderate play and some higher play. I have only pushed it once. And I started getting some cone noise before it got loud enough. I'll give it awhile longer and I also think that alpines box could use some improving so hopefully my fiberglass box will sound better. It really sounds like it needs a ported box but I would hate to take up the extra space. I will though if neccecary. Anyway thanks for the info. You guys are great.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  

Cone sounds = distortion  = turn off bass compensation and other stuff. Another problem you might be having is that if you used Alpine's reccomended box it might not be the best. You might want to download winISD and play around with different box sizes for your sub.

Again turn the time delay, EQ, and bass compensation off. Once you have adjusted the input level right then you might want to mess around with those settings. I wouldn't use time correction unless you know how to properly set it either.

Btw those directions for setting the input level (Alpine's term for gain) should work. Page 12 on the manual...

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/Manuals/500/500MRDM1.PDF

oonikfraleyoo 
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 1:27 PM / IP Logged  
I'm waiting for my fiberglass to dry right now but I will give that a try once the fumes are down to a standable level.
tcss 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 3:22 PM / IP Logged  
When we started selling Alpine digital D block amps in 2003 we always had problems with lack of gain. These problems disappeared after I spoke to the person at Alpine who designed this group of amps ( yes they are US designed ) He said that the Parametric Eq, the bass comp, the low filter AND the time correction are all needed to get max performance out of this very unique amp design. As far as I know still the only ones that process in a digital format. The time correction helps with slight out phasing problems these amps tend to have. If you have an Alpine AI net headunit you can get the Alpine KCE-510M amp link and adjust the time correction while you listen. When bass sounds the best you have the right setting. As far as turning off all that "crap" Alpine had even released a amp setting bulliten in 2004 that recommends just the opposite.
oonikfraleyoo 
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
My glass has dried and I've messed with the amp again. It definatly sounds better with the crap turned on. I still haven't messed with the time control at all. I have never seen a low pass filter that has a "Slope" setting. Think I understand what this is but can you clarify?
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic