More Bass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
grtn316 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I recently moved from a single cab Chevy Extreme to a 02' Chevy Silverado ext. cab. My bass in the single cab was wonderful. My bass under the back seats in the ext. cab sucks. The bass gets better if I move the boxes against the back of the driver and passenger seat.

I have a Sony mono channel 800 watt amp (XM-D400P5), and 2 Sony 12'' 1200 subwoofers (XS-L121P5). I have the 2 speakers bridged at 1 ohm and the amp is turned all the way up.

The 2 subwoofers are in sealed boxes and I recently tried to put some polyester in the boxes to increase the sound (didn’t work 2 much). I am looking for ideas or suggestions on what to do. Do I just need to upgrade? If so, what would be good for an ext cab? Are there other ways to make the bass travel farther?

bullman96 
Silver - Posts: 294
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 12:01 AM / IP Logged  
try turning the subs around facing the rear of the cab with the backs of the boxes touching the front seats. play with the phase if neccessary. also try ported boxes
Pioneer PEH-9660mp
Mb Quart PCE-216 biamped
JL 12W6v2
Sony XM-4026 amp for tweeters
Kenwood KAC-7251 amp for mids
JL-4100 amp for sub
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
Good ghad, turn that gain on the amp down!!  its not a volume control.  As for making it sound better, a properly designed box will make or break the sound. But before you go getting a professionally built box, i would sugest looking into some good subs and amp so you will have a good all around set up.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
grtn316 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 9:41 AM / IP Logged  

Alpine Guy wrote:
Good ghad, turn that gain on the amp down!!  its not a volume control.  As for making it sound better, a properly designed box will make or break the sound. But before you go getting a professionally built box, i would sugest looking into some good subs and amp so you will have a good all around set up.

haha...I've always been kind of unclear on what the controls do. Anyone have some detailed information on controls on an amp or just information on how to eq a system properly.

The boxes are lying down faced up under the back seats. Could I face these down to face the floor?
Also, could someone recommend a good combo of 2 12'' subs and amp, yet not spending an arm and a leg. The reason I have the Sony gear is because I worked at best buy and I got a great discount on it.
Does anyone know of a site that shows pictures of custom jobs on trucks, to get some ideas?
Thanks,

T.Hill 
Copper - Posts: 268
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
What's your defintion of "an arm and a leg"?
2x RE12's at $76 a piece....
1x Hifonics BX500D at $189.95 and thats with shipping.
These subs recommend 1cuft of airspace.
That would be 250 watts a sub. With your setup right now you are showing your sony amp a 2ohm load which make it 400watts. Thats 200watts a sub. I would really suggest turning down the gain on your amp. That might help the bass out a little bit or at least it wouldn't be killing your subs. Here is a webpage that I found in these forums by searching for info.
http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm
If you want to see these subs in action go to www.realmofexcursion.com and click on videos then scroll down on the left to RE Audio and click it. It will brings up videos fo their subs so scroll down a little bit and it will have videos of these subs except only the 10 or 8" versions.
All together it looks like $350-360 for two 12's and an amp to push them. You can buy direct from RE Audio by calling (702)896-4823.
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
RE subs are always a good bet. Alpine and Kicker also make some good budget subs, and who can forget the Adire Shiva, one of the best buys around.
In the mean time turn the gain down and I wouldnt recommend facing the subs down.
spilot 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  
what are those re subs, can not seem to find em anywhere. also, i've been looking at some alpine 10" SWE1041
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5KGGeBk0V9N/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=67600&I=500SWE1041
i can actually get em with the box at circuit city for $100. any good?
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 3:17 AM / IP Logged  
you can get some alpine typ s 10 for 49.00 a piece, I have had these in a 95 chevy extended cab, built 2 seald boxes under the seat, with a cheap lanzar 1200d pushing them and they hit hard as hell. It nall depends on the boxes but these subs are budget subs and sound good.
T.Hill 
Copper - Posts: 268
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 9:07 AM / IP Logged  
Spilot, you can see all the RE subs at either REaudio.com or bladeice.com. I'm not sure where you live, but around me they don't have a dealer so I can only look at them online. To buy them without a dealer you would have to call them at the number above.
Pioneer DEH-P980BT, Zapco DCREF1000.4,Pioneer TS-C520PRS, Adire Extremis, MTX TA91002, TC Sounds TC-3000 15"
grtn316 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 12:20 PM / IP Logged  

T.Hill wrote:
What's your defintion of "an arm and a leg"?
2x RE12's at $76 a piece....
1x Hifonics BX500D at $189.95 and thats with shipping.
These subs recommend 1cuft of airspace.
That would be 250 watts a sub. With your setup right now you are showing your sony amp a 2ohm load which make it 400watts. Thats 200watts a sub. I would really suggest turning down the gain on your amp. That might help the bass out a little bit or at least it wouldn't be killing your subs. Here is a webpage that I found in these forums by searching for info.
http://www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm
If you want to see these subs in action go to www.realmofexcursion.com and click on videos then scroll down on the left to RE Audio and click it. It will brings up videos fo their subs so scroll down a little bit and it will have videos of these subs except only the 10 or 8" versions.
All together it looks like $350-360 for two 12's and an amp to push them. You can buy direct from RE Audio by calling (702)896-4823.

wait...I thought I was running 1 ohm at 400 watts per sub. I have them bridged to the mono channel 800 watt amp. Am I mistaken?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic