icon

Engine noise

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
nexlvl 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  

Need a little help what constitutes a clean 12 volt?

nexlvl
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
I just use the constant power wire that was going to the factory HU. Yes you can hook the ground to the metal frame at the HU. Just make sure it is bare metal and your connection is tight.
'85 Toy
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 5:25 PM / IP Logged  

Disconnect the rca cables from the amp. Run new temporary rca cables over the tops of the seats. If you still have noise it is not a cable issue. If the amps are mounted to metal with screws, remove the screws and place the amps on cardboard for now. Do you still have noise? Disconnect the antenna, do you have noise.

Next if noise is still present, make muting plugs. Take some wefare el-cheapo rca cables and but the ends off about 2" from the end. Take the end and strip the center conductor and outer conductor, wire the center to the outer conductor. This shorts the input of the amp when they are plugged in. You will need to do this on all rca inputs. Still have noise then it is an amp or post amp issue.

No noise it is pointing to a head unit or cabling issue. I would next try a different head unit and see what happens from there.  Try all of this and post the results.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
I am in need of some explanation on this one rob, why would I want to short the inputs on the amp. I just dont understand where this gets me and what the end result is?
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

http://www.davidnavone.com/MutingPlug/Muting.wmv (for slow connection speed)

http://www.davidnavone.com/MutingPlug/Muting2.wmv (for cable or DSL connection speed)

The links are to a Media video made by David Navone on the muting plug;  why it works and how it's made.  This is a portion of the narrative:

"A muting plug is an electrical device that supplies a known good source for debugging and troubleshooting audio systems.  Basically, a muting plug is a dead short that supplies a signal level of 0 Volts at a source impedance of 0 Ohms.  With a muting plug inserted into the input of a component such as a power amplifier, any accessory noise in the system would indicate a problem with the amp, or the amp's load. 

If the noise goes away with the muting plug as the signal source of the component, then the component can be assumed to be okay.  This means that the problem lies further up the signal path...possibly in the signal cables."

nexlvl 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
I attached a dedicated ground and the noise was reduced. I then ran rca's over the seats and the noise got worse. Next I placed the amp on cardboard and the noise was less, but was only present in the rear speakers. I disconnected the rear input and the noise got louder? I then disconnected the speaker wire just to be sure and there was no sound. I reconnected the speaker wire and since the front speakers were silect I connected the front rca's to rear input and there was noise. I also connected therear input rca's to the front inout and there was no noise in the speakers. I think it is some sort of rear output problem just want to confirm before I get rid of the amp.
nexlvl
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic