icon

2000 accord speaker wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wastrel 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  

I recently purchased a 2000 accord and from the start the dealer had to give me a new radio b/c no sound was coming from the original one.  Now only two of the speakers have sound coming from them.  I asked my mechanic to simply check and see if the speakers work, and he said all of them work.  I've tried finding an extensive wiring diagram that shows where the wires run from the harness to the speakers (b/c I do not know if the problem lies somewhere there (perhaps a wire is pinched or something)).  Chilton was no help, and I would rather not spend 60$ on a Honda ETM.  I do not have an owner's manual either as I bought the car used.  I was wondering where to look to fix the wiring so that I can get my front right and rear left speakers as well as the in-dash tweeters working again.

I also bought and installed a Kenwood CD/MP3 player, it did the same thing with only two of the speakers working, but then all of the sudden gave out and has no sound emitting from the system (although it does get power and the illumination and everything else works).  I checked my wiring and everything is right, I took a voltmeter to it and all of them are properly connected.  I put back the old radio and it has sound on the two speakers.  But when I put the Kenwood back in, I get no sound again.  Can someone help?  I have no clue anymore what I'm doing... or where the problem could be.

benjammin74 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: February 08, 2005 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
you have a grounded speaker lead either on on one or both of the non-working speakers. the kenwood radio as with most aftermarket radios, has a self-protect shutdown that activates when a speaker lead is shorted out or grounded out. try pulling the radio out and check for continuity to ground on the individual speaker wires. you will need a multimeter or test light for this. if you don't have one of those, you could pull the door panel off and check the speaker to make sure the wires are not shorted out against the mounting surface. it is very typical for an aftermarket speaker to short out if it was not installed properly. you should also check the rear speakers to make sure the wires are not touching any metal. it is very common for the terminals to break off and lay against metal, shorting the system. One other simple way to find the problem quickly is to disconnect all the speaker wires from the kenwood and connect them one by one and whichever one kills the output of the radio is the source of the problem. once you figure out which wire is shorted, simply reconnect it properly or insulate it so that it wont contact metal.
car audio pays my bills...
tech460 
Copper - Posts: 118
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  
A speaker going bad will intermittently show a short also. I don't believe the mechanic fully checked your speakers for you. Unless he took them out and put them on a test bench and put a test speaker in the car, he didn't fully test the speakers. A multimeter won't show an intermiitently bad speaker. I suggest you change all speakers as the factory's cannot handle the power an aftermarket gives out and they sound awful anyway.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic