icon

mat not sticking/ air bubbles.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shingon 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  
this is my first fiberglass project, i am doing a sub enclosure for a 12" sub, i did the mold already with two layers of fiberglass cloth, i removed the mold and apply another layer of resin but this time i used fiberglass mat, here comes the problem, i was having a hard time with the mat sticking to the mold, i soaked the mat with resin and still wasn't sticking to the fiberglass, after the first layer of fiberglass mat , i tried to get rid all the air bubble there where only few bubbles left, i let it dry, after couple of minutes i start noticing that the mat was lifting by that time the fiberglass was already drying, so i end up with a lot of air bubbles, and at the edges of the mold there is a gap almost 1/8 of a inch, the mat didn't stick to the mold. here comes my question, did i really screwed it, or there something that can be done, like fill the gap with resin and sand most of the bubbles, or should i start again. Why do you think this happened, there are couple of thing i think may caused this, first i mix mat and cloth, also the mat i used i purchased at ebay, maybe it wasn't the proper mat,  also weather was a lit bit cold. any ideas how to fix it, also how bad is and air bubble in a fiberglass enclosure?  is it really important to get rid of them even if you apply more layer of fiberglass. thanks for any replays.   
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
Well you dont want to have any air bubbles in it, cause it can crack later if you have a big enough of an air pocket.  If the mat is sticking out really far I suggest cutting it off now and reapllying some glass there so that you wont have to go back and fix that later.  Also make sure that when applying the mat you tear it in like 2"x2" squares and dont cut it tear it.  Then soak an area in resin and start laying pieces of mat on the area coated in resin. Then come back and coat the glass in resin. Dab the brush on there real good and kind of poke at it to remove the bubbles.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
soda pop 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2005 at 8:07 PM / IP Logged  
realitycheck has it right. also if the weather is colder, mix your resin hotter. as far as sticking the mat, it's all about practice, practice, and more practice. and after you've practiced go back and practice some more. there did that give you some hope? lol.mat not sticking/ air bubbles. -- posted image.
if at first you don't succeed, kick it, burn it and throw it away.
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  

I think it's a better idea to resin a little of the area, then drop some teared mat and poke it with your brush.  What I have done in the past is cut the bristles of the brush to about 1 inch, this makes the bristles very stiff and helps when you stab the fiberglass forcing the resin to soak in.

We say tear the fiberglass cause it leaves the edges of the mat frizzy and it sort of locks better when you stick on another piece of fiberglass over it.  mat not sticking/ air bubbles. -- posted image.

Im a fiberglass whore!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic