the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Running a vented and a sealed enclosure!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spootydlux4 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
 Well i was goin to run two RE  se 12's in a slot vented box but i realized i didn't have enough room for 4 cu ft, but i did figure out that i had just enough room for a 1.8ft^3 slot vented along with a 1ft^3 sealed, and since i prefer more sq over spl, i thought this would suit my tastes better. would there be any problems with this? my amp is a kenwood kac x811d, so if i ran them in parallel, each would get about 500w rms.
blah blah blah blah
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  

well, the ported one would just overpower the sealed one....

Put em both in sealed boxes.......that'll work nicely

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 10:14 PM / IP Logged  

Everyone will think you're nuts, but if you do it let us know how it sounds.

newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 9:48 AM / IP Logged  

i agree with Drewt, at certain freqs the ported box will be alot louder than the sealed, and conversely at lower freqs the sealed will probably have better extension.  bad things could happen if your trying to jam some low freq material and your ported enclosure begins to 'unload' and you dont notice it because the sealed still sounds good.  try the two sealed or if you want a 3-6db peak about 45 hz for boomin around town try maybe one ported.  good luck!

spootydlux4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
what do you mean by 'unload'
blah blah blah blah
spootydlux4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
what do you mean by 'unload'?
blah blah blah blah
wheelerdr 
Copper - Posts: 337
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 10:45 AM / IP Logged  
There is no problem with that amp it is a great amp and if you want more sq go with the sealed enclosure
newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 11:09 AM / IP Logged  

spootydlux4 wrote:
what do you mean by 'unload'?

unload is a term i was using to describe what happens to a sub when you go beneath the tuning frequency of a ported enclosure.  the sub will act like it is not in an enclosure and has no 'load' or air cushion behind it to help the suspension control the movement of the cone.  hope this helps

heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 11:42 AM / IP Logged  
To sound like a broken record... Do the sealed on both. When you use a ported box, generally, you are trying to juice SPL at the cost of accuracy and low frequency extension.
If you mix the two, you will have one sub that hits lower, while the other one is boomy-has a spike in the response curve. When the ported subwoofer tries to play lower then the tuning frequency, you are at risk of erratic cone movement, bottoming out, other nasty stuff. Your sealed sub will do just fine, but the ported one... You could turn on a subsonic filter to protect the ported one, but then what would be the point of having the lower extension? You would have a response that is like a ported enclosure without the low frequency extension of a sealed... great.
Are you concerned it will not be loud? Are you kidding? It will be plenty loud, hit hard and low. Well, whatever you do, good luck.
What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
spootydlux4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  
ok i think im gonna go with two sealed boxes, itll make things a lot easier too. but say if i did run one ported tuned @ 32hz and set the subsonic filter to 32hz that would keep the sub from unloading, but on the point of having a lower extension, isnt 32hz a subsonic frequency which means unaudible to the human ear? correct me if im wrong im just tryin to learn here
blah blah blah blah
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic