icon

Project LTD

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  

well i decided to start posting a couple pics of the other project car that me and a bud are working on, theres a lot to do on it, and things'll be going slow for about a month or so.  Plans are to completely customize the interior...we already have a headliner made up...cost $250 bucks for the headliner...then we want to get the rear seats reupholstered and get bucket seats for the front...custom door panels (i want to make em...he wants to buy em) but I'll be making a custom fiberglass dash for it and console as well as the stereo system which we're hoping will consist of 4 12" subs and 2 amps...figgure out what brand when we get to that stage.  we will be painting the car a nice deep black and lowering it about 3" and sticking 22" wheels on it with proly a 30 series tire..we test fitted one since we work at a wheel shop and its doable.  the interior trim is a nice gloss burgundy, not quite smooth but we got rid of most of the heavy texture...another 2 coats of high build primer would have gotten it perfectly smooth...looks pretty sweet against the black.  Also need to see if we can get a different grill..this one is ugly.

the pics shown are from when we finished the ice and water shield stuff thats used for roofing...this stuff had to be heated up with a torch and then applied...but its not coming off anytime soon.  the roll cost $50 bucks and we didnt quite use the whole roll (cant remember the size) but the stuff is thicker than dynomat for sure, than we used roofing "asphalt cement" which hardens up to a nice solid rubber/plastic consistancy to fill in any gaps.  10 times quieter than without it...we're going to lay down a thin layer of padding and then get a carpet for it.  so i shoud be nice and quiet.

Project LTD -- posted image.

i couldnt get the pictures perfect when i tried to shink em so they're a little off...the trunk is deeper than it looks in the pic.

HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
So far so good, sounds like a really good setup.  Your idea sounds good on sound dampering as an alternative to expensive Dynomat.  Good luck with your project and be sure to come back and show us some progress pics (we all love pics!)  Project LTD -- posted image.
Im a fiberglass whore!!
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
Hey man sounds awesome,  where did you get the ice and water shield, im actually going to buy some tonight???   I think home depot has it but they havent called me back.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
placid warrior 
Silver - Posts: 357
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2005 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
actually...i tried RONA at first and didnt find any so i dont think home depot has any...the place i got mine is called PIONEER BUILDALL which has quite a bit of stuff...places like Cascade or Canex should have the stuff if there are any of these places by you... the stuff i have isnt called ice and water shield...its a different brand, not sure what it is.  I went and asked the guy behind the counter for ice and water shield and explained that i wanted it as a dynomat alternative...he says, sure i know what u want...so i end up getting some completely wrong stuff that has little flecks of colored rubber on it, no way that would work, plus it cost 90 bucks...so i brought it back and went to the yard and grabbed what i wanted...just a nice roll of thick mat with nothing on it, and it cost way less than i thought so i was extremely happy.  Hope u find the ice and water shield allright realitycheck.  This LTD isnt anything special...it was free, so we can afford to play around with it Project LTD -- posted image.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  
The stuff i use personally is called GRACE ICE SHIELD , its a roofing tar paper used before laying shingles i guess.   As long as its warm out it will stick whell, if not use a heat gun or blow dryer to heat it up and make it sticky.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  
Alpine Guy - The stuff i use personally is called GRACE ICE SHIELD ...
Your not the only one...
What will you get for Christmas, bad boy? Coal........or Visonik?? - stevdart
Wow, is everyone clueless and lost in the dark? - uthinkuknoaudio
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
From my experiance that stuff works better than dynomat and if your doing the whole vehicle it is a fraction of the cost
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 1:48 PM / IP Logged  
Alright guys just found the stuff today, finally. Home Depot didnt have it, I found a local roofing store called a.b.c. supply store. Ran over there on my lunch and bought a 66' roll I think.  This should be enough to do my whole trunk plus some.  I got it for like $55.00, I couldnt find it friday at home depot so me and my gf went to a local audio shop to ask what kind of price he could give me on dynomat he said 20 square feet for $199.00.   I was like no thanks that stuff is way overpriced.  Then we left.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic