the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Questions on my first system!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  

vwgolf1128 wrote:
I am willing to spend around 250 on ebay, so thats prob 500+ retail.

Honestly, you can't get anything for $250 .  And at that price your not even going to hear the bass in your own car.  On average e-bay prices, 2  decent 12's cost about $250 shipped, and a decent amp to make them bump will cost another $250 shipped.  Plus you will need your 4 gauge wire kit $25, if you have a factory head unit still you will need a line output converter to turn your speaker output into a rca signal.   And a Box $25 for wood/screws and your sweat to make it, or $100 for pre built.

If you really wana be heard, save up and purchase wisely.   1 key to the car stereo world, is, THE UGLYER THE BETTER.  Live by that rule to a certain degree and you will be happy.

As for reccomended sub brands look at these:

Alpine, Infinity, Adire, Eclipse, Image Dynamics, MTX, Rockford fosgate, Diamond Audio, JBL, JL, Kove, Memphis, Orion, RE Audio.

And amp brands:

Alpine, Audison, Cadence, Concept, Crossfire, Eclipse, HIFONICS, Infinity, JBL, JL, Kicker, McIntosh, Memphis, MTX, Orion, Phoenix Gold, Rockford Fosgate, Xtant, Zapco.

If you stick with brands on that list its pretty much guaranteed you will be pleased.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
vwgolf1128 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  

I guess im stubborn, i still want to buy something. I have a factory VW head unit. Like this one, http:///.com/ebaymotors/dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7954070489&category=38640, and was wondering if i can keep this one, or am forced to get a new one. I heard you can keep the stock one, but it wont sound as good as if u had an aftermarket. Since i am still going to buy one, any suggestions for an amp and sub for around 300? Like specific models...And do any single subs come in a box? Thanks a bunch.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
I recomend you go to a local car stereo shop and talk to them about your needs and budget.  But, if you must order off eBay, for a simple add-on subwoofer system that is all-in-one with amp, speaker and LOC, try something like an Infinity Basslink.  Not bad sounding for the price and a very easy install for the beginner who simply wants to add some bass to a factory system.  You'll still need power wiring, but everything else is included.
Support the12volt.com
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
For $300 you could have my Near new Alpine MRD-M501, and i'll throw in a Alpine Type-E 12" sub.  Plus shipping.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
^^^ that's a good deal.
Support the12volt.com
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
You forgot Nakamichi in those posts under subs (SPW1200D) and amps (PA8001 nad PA2004)... anyways lol ... Bobby Boucher, what did you mama tell you about audiobahn? I like it mama, cuz its blingy. Bobby, Audiobahn is the DEVIL!!! (For those of you that have seen the waterboy :) )
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
vwgolf1128 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
Who here has actually owned audiobahn, and what makes them soo bad?
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

Search the forum for reasons why not too buy Audiobahn...it seems like it's brought up at least three times a week.

By the way, AlpineGuy is offering a screamin' deal for you there. I would really consider it (and no, he didn't pay me to say that Questions on my first system! - Page 2 -- posted image.).

vwgolf1128 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
Could that amp power a 1200 w rms sub?
hightek 
Copper - Posts: 223
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 12, 2005 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  
just to give you an aidea vwgolf, my first system was 2 12" infinity reference subs (1230 i believe) and i bought a lame little bazooka amp (originally was running bazooka subs till i blew them). the whole system cost me about 600 at circuit city. back then i was in your position, wanted something that hit and people could hear me. it was a nice little intro system. before i even actually started looking at products i talked to everyone i met about what they had in their cars. i went to car shows, talked to my friends. i even talked to some people i would see in a gas station and see what they had and stuff. do your research and you should be very happy.
like a lot of the other people on here, stay away from audiobahn. my friend had 2 of their subs, not sure what line or anything, but not only did they blow in 3 days, but they sounded horrible.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic