icon

Clifford AvantGuard 5.5X

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stubs 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: February 28, 2005 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  
Will current AV5 owners be able to upgrade to the 5.5x, by means of only having to add a few parts. Or will it be a totally different system, with different wiring, requiring a whole de-install & re-install?
bretbowman 
Copper - Posts: 156
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  

STUBS has my point exactly.

This is why I say OUCH !!!!  Because I just bought an AVantguard 5 system like a couple weeks ago because it's the best that there is out there, BUT it does NOT have 2 way remotes, which I wanted pretty badly.

Please let me know if there is an upgrade option because I certainly want two way remotes if it's an option.  It's not critical, but I just want that pretty bad.

OUCH is that I just got the AV5 and sacrificed the 2 way remotes of Viper 791xv to get AV5, now they're coming out with AV5 based system with 2 ways.

OUCH...  OUCH...   OUCH...

Clifford AvantGuard 5.5X - Page 2 -- posted image.

2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2WD (Clifford G5 Avantguard 5 w/ 2 SmartWindows modules) - IT Engineer - NRA Life Member - LDS Return Missionary - Married for time AND ETERNITY - Eternally sealed family
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
not to mention that it uses Spread Spectrum technology and has an FCC legal 1 mile range...... not bad for a 2 way unit....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
stubs 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged  

Ah, well I'm with you on that Bret.... I too chose te AV5 over the Matrix 3.5... Clifford AvantGuard 5.5X - Page 2 -- posted image.

Suppose if they don't offer the option of an upgrade, I'll have to just buy the 5.5x & try my luck at selling the AV5 on eBay

Ido like the sound of the 1 mile range... and the dot matrix dislay with scroll feature! Clifford AvantGuard 5.5X - Page 2 -- posted image. OOOOOOOH, i'm sooooo excited! Hurry up Clifford!!!!

profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2005 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
its a big step for DEI to get into the SS technology.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
bretbowman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 3:59 AM / IP Logged  

Hmmm, I just don't know if I want to wait that long though.  I don't really NEED that high tech of an alarm.  My fear would be that I'll wait and then when it comes out, it will be like over $1,000 or something... then I'll think, "I'm not going to spend that kind of money on an alarm... Why didn't I just go ahead and install that AV5?"

I don't know... I work in the IT field and it's just like that.  You can't "not buy" a computer just because they're going to come out with something better and faster.  You'd end up NEVER buying because technology will always continue to progress.  The two way feature is very nice.  I don't need a MILE range on the remote... I'm never that far from my car.  If that is the only thing that it has to offer (though that is VERY cool), I wouldn't feel as bad about skipping out on the 5.5.   However, I figured that they would come out with a 2 way that included the notorious OMNISENSOR and Clifford superior tilt and prox sensors.  I opted for the additional glass break sensor that hooks into the data port of the AV5 and smart window modules (x2) that hook into the dataport as well.

My favorite is going to be being able to program it all from my laptop.  Now, all they need to do is make it compatible with 802.11b so that I can just park the car close to the house and program it from my workstation inside the house (wirelessly).

All in due time, I'm sure.

Those of you hip people that KNOW about the 5.5, please keep us in the loop.  Whether or not I decide to buy one, I'd still love to know what kind of new goodies that Clifford is coming out with.  I also heard that DEI may "merge" VIper and Clifford into one marketing package under the VIPER name.  Any validity to that?

2002 Toyota Sequoia Limited 2WD (Clifford G5 Avantguard 5 w/ 2 SmartWindows modules) - IT Engineer - NRA Life Member - LDS Return Missionary - Married for time AND ETERNITY - Eternally sealed family
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 03, 2005 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  

i doubt it... since Clifford is considered their "top dog".... both brands have a strong client following.... i doubt that they would mess with that...... i could see them merging the Viper and Python brands however.... but that would limit the number of dealers in a specific market that have access to the "big three" - Clifford, Viper & Python.....

they have already discussed phasing out the Sidewinder and Hornet brands, i doubt they would do more than that.....   but hey, what do i know??

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Drtechnical 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: March 12, 2005 at 12:36 PM / IP Logged  
Local Shop where I got my AV5 installed mentioned it won't be a difficutl swap.  Said you switch out acouple of parts (antenna, remotes, etc) and you can have the AV5.5. However on the CES site someone wrote they would be two completely different systems.  Any one know any different?
hedfly 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2005 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

damn, i may have to replace my compustar with this one.

i'm waiting to install it on a few cars first to see how i really like it.  it's DEI though, they havent let me down yet.

-'02 Mustang GT-
-Pioneer AVIC-N1
-Memphis 16-MCH1300 5 Channel Amp
-Memphis MClass 6-1/2" Component Speakers
-Memphis M3 12" Sub
-Xbox
bretbowman 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2005 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
Any NEW news on the new Avantguard system coming out later this year?  Any solid ETA?  Any other NEW stats that any one knows of, other than 2 ways and extreme range on remotes?  Any talk of "upgradability"?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic