icon

how to combine SPL and SQ

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
rickfordfosgate 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  

i'm confused on that matter. im own the cdx-r5500 for the head unit. for the amp i use prokick (2channel) to kick 2X12'' woofer pioneer and alpine(4channel) to blow the 2X6.5''(mohawk)mid bass component and 2X5'' mid range(kicker) component.

in my opinion SPL is the best, because i think my audio system are very loud and clear. my audio can produced very clear bass, mid and hi tone at maximum power. for me i have the 2 concept above, SPL and SQ. but my friends say that my audio are quite powerful enough but doesnt make the SOUND QUALITY.

in this situation should i add more amp to make the 2 concept above to my audio? should i put more component set in my car? should i put 2X15" kicker woofer?

i also have my biggest problem in my audio that is current supply. my current in my car are drop. in my oppinion, i have to change my alternator with the biiger one and change my battery to bigger calcium battery for the maximum power. after that i want to buy power capasitor to my current supply. so that i can put more powerful amp and more speaker in my car.

is that enough? should i go for the other way?

all i want is to make my audio system very powerful, clear and quality. i want to show my audio to my friends..  

rick engineering
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 10:50 PM / IP Logged  
First off if you think it sounds good, don't change a thing. Screw your friends. But if you do want to upgrade, adding an amp may not be the first thing to do. Try upgrading the components, probly no need to add more of them. And in my opinion, 12's sound better than 15's. 15's can move more air, but I prefer the sound of 12's. Also I don't know if I'm reading this correctly but it sounds like you have two 4 channel amps running 4 speakers. I don't understand why and this is probly a factor in you shortage of power. Try maybe just one of them. a new alternator and battery should do the trick there but don't waste you money of cap. They're almost useless.
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
If you like the way it sounds thats all that matters. Who has to listen to your system more, you or your friends??
Paul
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  

On the other hand, sometimes friends like that have a point.  Sometimes a listener has never heard higher-end audio.  Perhaps the listener does not know what he or she is missing. 

My advice:  go to a high end a/v store and listen to some of your music on a great system.  It will probably sound much different than yours. 

Determine if shooting for this is worth it to you.  It will cost time and money and you'll fall far short anyway.

Seek out some people that really know sound quality.  Have them listen to your system.  Have them give you advice.

Above all, welcome to the hobby.  If any of us thought our systems were perfect we'd probably not be here. :-)

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
rickfordfosgate 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  

thanks 4 all your suggestion and advice. i think i should go to Seek out some people that really know sound quality. they maybe know wats my problem are. isnt is right? maybe someday i will upgrade my audio system through your all suggestion and advice.

4 ur infomartion, my audio are built by myself. i wiring them all and tuning them 4 myself. even my enclosure(unsealed) 4 my subwoofer are built by myself. some of my friend that same hobby like me told that my audio sound perfect. but there is some little of my friend that have a long time in audio system advice me 4 the better sound. its good 4 me. at least they try to help and put me in the ICE(in car entertainment) world. i know my budget is low but 4 me the price is not the everything 4 the sound quality. in my experience, 4 the example, if the subwoofer are too expenssive and the rms too high..... it must drive with the powerfull and expenssive amps, right.

maybe my mid is not quite good enough. so i prefer to buy my new component set to replace the original one from my car. because the old speaker are very noisy. give me an explain about this.

i also want to replace my 4channel amps with 2 amps 2channel to drive 2 components set. please give me advice about this matter.

please explain 4 me why the power capasitor are not effective and wasting money. i want my current supply enough to drive my amps . i meant my headlight blink when the audio on. how can i settle this problem?

anyway thanks 4 joining me in this club...

rick engineering
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
The cap will not increase current supply. Your alternator is the only source of current supply in the car. Your alt. already does not make enough power to push your amps so a cap will do no good. One big bass note will drain a cap. Then when the next note hits your alt. is not only tring to power your amps but also tring to recharge your cap. So you wind up putting much more strain on the alt.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  

Basically a power cap is a battery with low resistance, which unloads for a note like you need. Then it does what oonik said above.

Also, what is your situation in your region for car audio? I was not personally aware of Malayasia having much around, but it's nice to see there is. This is mainly concerning earlier recommendations to see a local high end A/V shop, which I don't know how easily available that is.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
rickford 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 4:20 AM / IP Logged  

ok...tq 4 all your advice and info. now i know which way should i go trough ICE.

for ur info, in malaysia maybe the ICE not very good enough compare to US. the stuff we get here are not up to date. the branded amps, speaker are too expensive. the brand that are famous here like RF, sounstream, alpine, lightning audio, kenwood, kicker, lanzar, mohawk(same like kicker), prokick, sony. for the example the RF amps price between RM1000-3000( 300-1000US dollar)

the brand like JL audio and other famous in US maybe too difficult to find here.

the high end a/v store also very less here. is too difficult to find. actually im at the borneo(SABAH). maybe i can find it in the west peninsular malaysia. the ICE in there also up to date. the only way i can see the latest one is from internet.

i hope i can hear anything from u all in ICE(in car entertaiment). 

rick engineering
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 7:33 AM / IP Logged  

Brands I'd advise using for accessibility:

Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, Alpine, and maybe high end Kenwood/Sony products. Those I believe should give you best buy for your buck, but I'm not highly experienced with the other stuff and know very little about it, so someone else may have a more educated opinion on that. Best of luck!

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
rickford 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 1:25 AM / IP Logged  
yeah
rick engineering