icon

? for Steven Kephart

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 7:46 AM / IP Logged  
i was reading the tech reports on the adire web site, the shiva white papers to be exact. i came across the section about RDO. i always heard it was very bad to only hook up one coil. won't this hurt the driver? will it work for any dual voie coil speaker in a car audio application? and i would also like to know how exactally you wire this kind of set up. thanks for your time and knowlage.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
I'm not Steven but I can answer part of the question.  Wiring one voice coil in a DVC speaker will not by itself damage anything.  You will cut the power handling in half, the Q ratings will change, and you can limit Xmax depending on how the speaker is built.  But it will work just fine as long as you compensate for the changes you have created.
Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 11:25 AM / IP Logged  

There are a lot of smarter people here than me.  But of course I don't mind helping either. 

Try reading the tech paper called " DVC Subwoofers 101".  It explains exactly what happens when you wire like this and even explains what happens if you wire out of phase.  It's really an interesting read.  Here's a link to make it easier for you: http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/TechPapers/DualVoiceCoilDrivers.pdf

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

soundmasta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  

good. i think im going to try. but whats the best way to wire it up? i want to change a woofer with a q of around .5 to .7 or .8. is there an equation to figure the proper resistance to use? is a pot the best solution?

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
Check how Rod Elliot suggests you can find the Q of your loudspeaker.  By setting up the proper tests, you can adjust the resistance in series with the non-used VC to achieve many different Qes settings.
Support the12volt.com
newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
by doing that what does it achieve?  is it a way to adjust speaker parameteres when box space is limited or does it actually help the speaker perform better?  i would think that by using all the power the motor can produce in the proper enclosure would be the best bet. i had always read that you damage subs if both coils arent hooked up but never really looked into it.  seems interesting.  please list pros/cons of doing this.  thanks
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 14, 2005 at 8:12 PM / IP Logged  

The pros/cons are actually listed on those tech papers.  As well as an explanation on what you have to keep in mind to prevent from damaging the sub.  Applications are rather minimal.  It would help if you already have a low Q driver and now want to run it sealed or IB.  Now you can adjust the Qts of the driver to get a better performance out of this new enclosure.  It would also be great from a learning standpoint in that you can listen to the difference in enclosure Qtc's.

It's kind of like Silly Putty.  Practical applications are rather limited.  But it is still neat stuff to play with, especially for us techies.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

P.S.  On a side note, we do use Silly Putty to test the parameters of a speaker.  We have found that the ammount of Silly Putty from one egg to another is exactly the same (a known mass), and it sticks to the cone without leaving any residue. 

soundmasta 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 7:21 AM / IP Logged  
newtone- the q factor of a driver kind of explains how it responds. a low q, like .4 for example, has a smother response, while a higer q such as .7 or .8 is peakier around the drivers fs. you get that "boomy" bass with a bit higher q.  i mainly want to try this to see how it effects the response of the speaker, and i thought my next install would be a good place considering the driver im hooking up is in a seald enclosure, has dual vc's, a lower q, and pretty effecient, so it will still run well with only 1/2 power. the kid listens to rap music, so he'll appreciate the boomy effect of a higher q, and besides...if it doesn't work, i'll just wire the other coil up. lesson learned.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic