First Project

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
What got through?
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
Finger nail polish remover should get it, but what kind of gloves are you using?
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
ajgonzales 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 8:27 PM / IP Logged  
if you're talkin about the fiberglass gettin thru, use talc powder
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  
I think the talc only works before you get it in your skin!
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  
It stopped after a bit, and yes it was resin. Not sure what kinda gloves, some rubber Dynagrip stuff. It was sitting around. I may have gotten it on my hands some other way(handling the stuff as I scrapped it, I dunno) but maybe I'll start again in the next few days. Come here pizza box, I got some fun for you... (Figured I'd not waste another cup or maybe get some cheap ones.)
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 7:53 AM / IP Logged  

So the cup didnt work?

did the plastic not melt?

1hot944 
Copper - Posts: 46
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 8:15 PM / IP Logged  

If your worried about getting resin on your hands, go to Wal-Mart to the painting section. You can buy a box of 100 latex or nitrile gloves for about $7 ,they are cheap enough that you can throw them off when you get any on you and slip a clean pair on quickly without touching the resin. Works great!!! There is also a product ,I think it's called Rhino but I'm not sure and its an invisible glove cream that acts as a barrier just in case the latex/nitrile glove tears.

As far as containers go I get my wife to save all the yogurt,margerine, coffee cans she can to use. She hates it when I use her tupperware!!! First Project - Page 2 -- posted image.

In a world full of copycats, it's great to be an original!
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
I use the cheap paint mixing cups at lowes. Their great b/c you can measure with them and any leftover resin can be removed once its dry by just flexing the cup a bit and it pops out like an ice cube from a tray.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 8:07 AM / IP Logged  
hehehe, thats hilarious I do that exact same thing nik.   I even saved one or two when I first started glassing cause I though they looked neat, but then I threw them away.
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  

Ok well I'm hoping the weather starts perking up here in the next couple of weeks so I can get back to work on this... Next time I'm gonna just do a flat surface to get the idea down. After that I'll look for some cheap oddly shaped things. As for the cup melting, not sure, the box I put it in to contain the mess is, well, sealed... As for it getting through, not really worried, it went away fast enough, was just annoying.

EDIT: Concerning using F/G... For a basic application I just wanna pour the resin into a bucket/container, mix in the appropriate hardener amount, dip my cloth in the resin until it is basically soaked with it, then apply to the surface, right? Do a couple more layers and then let it dry for a couple hours? Then reapply same way until I feel it is sturdy enough?

One serious problem I had with the cup was that I tried to cover it with one piece, I can tear it into different pieces so it fits flat and have no problems, right? Sorry, this may sound really dumb, I just don't wanna mess up again. :/

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic