icon

Capacitors

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Edicius 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
Well, I would say that the moderator on this site with almost three times as many posts as you would be a "decent reference".   In my opinion.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
First, DYohn basically said they're worthless in all but the closest cases and ONLY AFTER the alternator is large.
Second, I still want to see some proof. Why do none of these capacitor manufacturers list any concrete data behind what their products do? I want to see a graph that shows me how they fill in these dips in current. Why don't they show us this? You'd think it would help them sell. This lack of data is because they don't have it.
In the end, buy the cap, makes no difference to me if you don't buy the best solution. Heck, I hear caps still get "street cred" among the uninformed - right up there with chrome flame decorations on the subwoofer.
To me: I see a cap and I say, "9/10 chances that guy doesn't need that and was suckered by the salesman."
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Edicius 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 1:50 AM / IP Logged  
You sure seem angry for someone who doesn't care.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 1:55 AM / IP Logged  
Oh, I'm not angry, I just like to argue my point until someone comes back with a quality rebuttal. I do it all the time. Sometimes I do lace on the sarcasm a bit hard - I'm sorry for that.
I also find it unfortunate that so many people waste their money on products that do relatively nothing. So, in a sense, yes, I am slightly annoyed at the manufacturers for selling their misinformation.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
rickford 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 3:57 AM / IP Logged  

ya... i agree wit u all. the cap only keep the current from the battery and then the power will push out 4 the amplifier. when the current are empty in the cap, the cap will recharge back from battery. this are also the same. maybe the caps can supply more current and high ampere to your amp just 4 a while not 4 a long time.

4 my experient, in ICE world, the caps are not missing from the wiring in the car. if they use 10 amps, they also use 10 caps. i think the caps only nice to see but it nothings. maybe its beautiful when we can see the digit come out from the cap.  he he he.

me also want to buy this caps long time ago, but my friend told me to get a big alternator with the big calcium battery where it can supply more current and more ampere 4 the amps.

rick engineering
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 8:28 AM / IP Logged  

Edicius wrote:
Well, I would say that the moderator on this site with almost three times as many posts as you would be a "decent reference".   In my opinion.

Whoa, if you got the opinion from my post that caps are a good solution for you, then I must not have written it very well.  Let me try to be clear:

Capacitors are a waste of money for most people.  Amplifiers do not need external capacitors.  A capacitor is not a power source since it must be charged from somewhere.  If the charging system is already overloaded, a capacitor will makke things worse, not better; larger capacitors create larger problems in this case.  A capacitor can sometimes be used to assist the power supply of an amplifier to maintain peak power but only if sufficient volts and amps are already available from the alternator/battery.  The person who told you your system will be fixed by adding a capacitor was wrong.  High capacity alternators and matching high capactiry batteries are the only way to provide power needed by a large amplifier.  To figure the end cost of installing a high-wattage amplifier you must include the additional costs of a HO alternator, appropriate wiring, etc.

Support the12volt.com
doc t 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
I'm in no way an expert on this subject, but in my case the 1 farad cap definatly helped with the lights dimming when the bass hit hard. now that I'm thinking about up grading my amp to 2-3 times (1000-1500 wrms) the output that i have right now, i will be back at square one and will probably need the HO alt.
All Bleeding stops.....eventually!
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

If you're putting a pansy system in, you might not need crap. (Its pansy if it is like under 300wRMS, as far as I'm concerned.) My friend has some pioneer stuff setup in her car(sigh) and she didn't put anything else in it as far as I know other than amp+subs. It doesn't hit worth much to me, but it works for her and she needed nothin. Now for my system I need an improvement(1300wRMS). My options are:

1) HO Alternator, costs me $200 for 180 amp and some money for cable and shipping. $242 all together.

2) Try and cap it for like $150+ for the appropriate capacitor... *looks* You gotta be f'in kiddin!!!! (This is assuming it'd work and not put so much work on my alternator it dies like in a week and I have to not only buy a new alternator, but one that won't die, so now I'm out on the cap entirely because I was DUMB.)

Now given my car is unique, since no one ever wants to screw with this kinda car due to it being old person car and the special mounted alternator limits it to a max of 180a. But still, I'd rather spend 2x more on something that not only solves a problem BUT it improves the functionality of my car.

Sorry, I just wish I had the money to blow, really.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
Edicius 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 11:51 AM / IP Logged  
"Whoa, if you got the
opinion from my post that caps are a good solution for you,
then I must not have written it very well."

NO, I was saying that what you said was the real purpose of capacitors and therefore was a "decent reference" for them. Not that they would replace a high output alternator. Which is what I'm going to get.
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
Well I'm glad you finally got the point
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic