icon

molding a body kit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
branvw 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  

i had done the seemless fit on my car........NEVER AGAIN, at the end of the day even if you dont drive it you can get stress cracks, we had the paint showing problems..... the steel of the car vs the fiberglass shrinks at diffrent speeds with the temp, so unless you are in a climate controlled room all the time it will crack! the stress of that alone is much more then most people relize. Just to add to that no auto companies make fiberglass parts that are like that they all have seems! there is a reason! if they dont punch it out of steel, it will have a seem to allow the contraction of the parts or movement.

just my toughts.

exertone2 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
I am working on a 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse that has HOK burgundy wine with red flake paint and and full blitz body kit (fiberglass). The body kit was molded onto the car and there are a ton of stress cracks, which I now have to fix. If you dont like the fact that it is not molded than use decals to cover up, but definitly stay away from molding the body kit to the car. In the end you will spend a lot more on fixing all the cracks and buying more paint then if you were to leave it unmolded. That's just my opinion.
loonybass 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 7:32 PM / IP Logged  
You can get it at most auto parts supply stores, such as U.A.P. or NAPA auto parts. Or go to a body shop and ask them if they can order some through there supplier. Some shops may not even know that it exists, but once they see how well it works there amazed. It cost $100.oo canadian. That gets you a little less than half a gallon of product. But it goes a really really long way.
swweeet and lloowww
loonybass 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
As for strength it is unbelievably strong. we fixed a hydraulic lift tailgate on a cube van using only KEVLAR to reatach it to the cube van. The tailgate could still lift the 2000lb it was rated for. It is still being used to deliver frieght today and its been 5 years now.
swweeet and lloowww
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
Granted, molding a boy kit to a car looks hot, but like everyone said here...if you drive it often, its bound to start cracking at the seems from driving.  It can be a good idea for a car that is strictly show, not driven.  molding a body kit - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Im a fiberglass whore!!
Patpjrick 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 8:43 PM / IP Logged  
you guys all brought up good points and at first i was ticked about everyone posting the negative facts about molding the kit, but at the same time i realize thats what they are....FACTS. and facts do not lie. since the car is a daily driver and the car would look really good with the kit molded i dont want to keep spending money each and every year to fix stress fractures bc i screwed it up in molding it or sumpin stupid like bottoming out on a speed bump or inclined driveway. the paint alone to fix it would prolly cost like $500 or so to fix them all around the car since i dont know anyone in the jersey area who can paint a car well for less than $1800 for prep and paint
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
I think your making the right decision. It does look good but not if its falling apart.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
chrisenjin 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, I hope this helps. You can get Kevlar enhanced epoxy adhesive (sometimes known by trade names as Wet/Dry 700 or CoroFix 911 from a company known as Progressive Epoxy Polymers in pittsfield, NH. Their website is www.epoxypolymers.com. I also must stress that I have used the above products and they are as strong as claimed, therefore make ABSOLUTELY sure you know what you're doing as this stuff will NOT be easy to remove/repair.molding a body kit - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
christopher
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic