icon

98 dakota, DEI 451m, factory keyless

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Anthnynixon 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
Does the 98 dakota have the 5 wire lock system or is it regular 2 wire. I dont have the vehicle but have been asked to install a remote starter in it in the next couple weeks. It has factory keyless entry but the owner would like it on one remote. I have a DEI 451m to wire up the locks. so is it 5 wire, if so how would i go about with the wires, or is it 2 wire? Im getting different print outs from different sources
1998 Dogde Dakota with factory keyless entry
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  

The truck has POS(+) trigger door locks

lock is ORANGE / purplr

unlock is pink/purple   in the drivers kick.

If it did NOT have factory keyless....it would be 5 wire

Anthnynixon 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info
Anthnynixon 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
Alright I just want to double check with some people. I am doing the install this up coming sat. I have checked, Directtechs, Designtech, and bulldog. All 3 of them say that on this truck WITH FACTORY KEYLESS the lock wire is (+) but the unlock wire has to be 5 wired. Is there any installers out there that have done a 98 dakota with keyless from the factory. Ive never done a 5 wire lock setup, but i read how to do with the the 451m.
I also searched this forum and came up with this from a past thread
POWER LOCK   organge/purple or GREEN/ black (+) located in drivers kick   panel          
POWER UNLOCK pink/purple *1      (+) located indrivers kick panel
FACTORY ALRM DISARM    BLACK/ orange        (-)   located in drivers door harness
*1 NOTE: if the vehicle did not come with factory keyless entry the just hook up your alarm's positve lock and unlock outputs to the provided wire colors above. However, if the vehicle came with factory keyless entry then you have to hook-up the unlock as a 5-wire setup Relay configuration(87-12V+               85- alarms positve unlock output 86- ground   87a- cut pink/purple and attach to switch side   30- motor side of the cut pink/purple)    
Any one know for sure. If not ive never tested for a 5 wire set up. How do i test the unlock wire to find out if i need to do it that way?
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 6:40 AM / IP Logged  
|       POWER LOCK|org/pur or grn/blk |+ |drivers kick panel          |
|     POWER UNLOCK|pink/purple *1      |+ |drivers kick panel          |
its a positive doorlock system that only require ~200mA to trigger teh system, no need to use the 451m (assuming youre using a DEI alarm).
it would work w/ the 451m but require more work, obviously.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
Anthnynixon 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
Profuse, I see next to your POWER UNLOCK it has as a *1 after the wire color, what did the note say. All the diagrams I have been reading have a note after the unlock wire saying that if the car has factory keyless you have to 5 wire the unlock wire. The dakota i am working on has factory keyless.
So then all the other diagrams are wrong saying that the unlock wire is type c (+) and I needed to cut the wire and do switch side and motor side. I guess all these places should fix there diagrams.
Can anyone tell me how i check to see if i need to 5-wire it?
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  
oops, overlooked at that....it required to do 5wire for unlock for vehicle w/ KE.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
johnnyb1231 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  
what unit are you using cause some of the newer units have it setup so one wire pulses - as the other one pulses +... so for instance in dei models... the green wire would pulse - while at the same time the blue wire is pulsing +
Anthnynixon 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
its a valet 552t. Yes it is set up where it pulses - unlock or + lock, but I have to cut the unlock wire and place one wire on switch side, and one wire on motor side. i have a DEI 451m to handle that. I will hook my blue wire to the lock wire, and hook the green wire on the switch side, and white wire on the motor side. Sound about right?
johnnyb1231 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  

dont use the 451 m for that... save your money and wire up a relay

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic