Diode needed?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
exsodius 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  

I need help for this install.

A aftermarket alarm. Connect to central locking and poping the trunk.

- Central locking has a negative drive.

- Popping trunk has a negative drive.

My focus 2002 already have a relay for poping the trunk, so i just connect the negative 200mah output to the negative trunk switc.

Do i need diodes for these two installs?

Jschult3 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  

The 200ma may not be enough to pop your trunk. You may need a relay to provide more power. It would be safer to just install a relay, you could damage the circuit if it draws more than 200ma.

No diodes should not be required for either.

Diodes are used to isolate 2 or more sensors on the same alarm wire. Thus keeping each trigger seperate from each other. For example, if you have 2 doors driver is green and passenger is lt. green they both need to be connected to the alarm's trigger wire. You would use diodes to isolate the door tigger wire in the vehicle to maintain individual wires going to the car's ecu.

If you need the diagram for the trunk relay check out the relay section on the boards.

Good Luck

Jeff
Always Verify Wire information before Connecting! Just a Darn Good DIY'R
exsodius 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2005 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
Jschult3 wrote:

The 200ma may not be enough to pop your trunk. You may need a relay to provide more power. It would be safer to just install a relay, you could damage the circuit if it draws more than 200ma.

No diodes should not be required for either.

Diodes are used to isolate 2 or more sensors on the same alarm wire. Thus keeping each trigger seperate from each other. For example, if you have 2 doors driver is green and passenger is lt. green they both need to be connected to the alarm's trigger wire. You would use diodes to isolate the door tigger wire in the vehicle to maintain individual wires going to the car's ecu.

If you need the diagram for the trunk relay check out the relay section on the boards.

Good Luck

Thanks!

The wire i found on the trunk switch was very small. And each time i push it i hear a click from the relay. Lets say this wire goes to 85 on the factory relay. Would it then be safe not to use a extra relay? If no, why two relays? When the factory relay don't use more than 200mah.

And for the central locking. There are two relays inside this alarm. Two wires comes out, one for lock and one for unlock. So these are two different circuits. As i understand you dont need diodes for this?

I understand that you must have diodes for the 4 doors trigger.

By the way i am finished with this install, and it works great. Reason i ask is that i am not sure if this is right. And over time it may damage something. Therefore if something is wrong now, i can fix it before its too late.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic