icon

1/2 ohm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cruelneo 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
is there an amp that is half ohm stable some one said a kicker xs 100 is stable at half ohm is this true
SoundAudio 
Copper - Posts: 242
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
Even if it is, which I don't think so, that low of an impedence would have horrible distortion.
chucksnee 
Copper - Posts: 127
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
There are a few half ohm stable amps out there Zapco makes a few even soundstream makes some.
If i'm not mistaking the old soundtream 10.0 was 1/4 ohm stable?
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
that 1/2 ohm thing is fine if you get the right amp. The only amp i know that can take that load easily and lower than that is an MMATS Class G amplifier. If you got money, its for you. They are very very very powerful. US Amps might have it to, but i konw MMATS has them. www.mmatsproaudio.com
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  
there are alot of 1/2 ohm stable amps out there.  i personally run the us hc 100s which are 1/2 ohm per channel or 1 ohm mono.  its a little over 2kw.  the kickers are good, the mmats are excellent.  also try american bass vfl 150.1 and digital designs m1.  all of these amps will play that impedance and alot lower if you use upgraded electrical system.  the distortion isnt really an issue on the amps i use, but the heat is.  these things are called high current amps for a reason, they pull a$$ loads of amperage and generate alot of heat.   i would not recomend this type of amp for an everyday vehicle unless you get several of them so you dont have to push them hard to get so loud they run you out of the vehicle.  if you can wire your subs in series instead of parallel to get 2 ohms you would probably be better off that route, and strapping 2 amps to that load.  however, if your competing and want to stay in a low power class high current is the way to go.
soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  

i used to own a kicker X100s. it was a class a/b amp built in 96 by kicker. it was 50x2 at 4 oms, and rated somwhere around 800-1000 watts (can't remember for sure) at 1/2 stereo, or 1 ohm mono. it had no internal cross over, and i was the best sounding amp i've heard to date. 

i also know matts, us amps, and a few other companies make them. harrison labs too i belive. and don't forget that when hifonics was sweet, the made a lot of 1/2 ohm stable amps, and some that would play down to 1/4 ohm.

you don't see it much anymore, because the "cheater amp" concept isn't as popular.

cruelneo 
Copper - Posts: 77
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 12:58 PM / IP Logged  
u know where i can find one of these kickers and how big was this thing the amp i saw was hugh
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
if you really want a good one like i said, MMATS has it down.
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
I think Memphis has some 1/2 ohm stable amps.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
I run memphis HC-50's    they are 1/2 ohm stable.   I drive that amp all day like that and no problems.     the only way to fine some of these older amps is to look look look,   ebay, fourms, ect      really hard to find still new.   You can contact me with a PM and I might be able to help you
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic