icon

Two sub wireing

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, well, I've just blown my second Infinity Perfect 12.1D, so I'm gonna have to do something else...

Right now I'm running 550 watts to the one sub, since It's dual 4-ohm coils, and they are wired in parallel.  Well, that's aparently too much, since the sub is rated at 350 and I've blown two now.....

So, I'm thinking about getting two single 4-ohm subs, and running them in parallel.  Now, will that give me 275 watts per sub (thus being safe, since they are rated at 350).  Also, would that be louder than a single DVC sub being driven at 350 watts??

Thanks guys, I'm really bummed out since this is the SECOND sub I've blown....

-Drew

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  

You overpowered a 350 watt sub with 550 watts?  You shoulda been knocked on da head!  lol   But reading your post, I get the impression that you're counting voice coils as a guideline for power capacity.  It doesn't matter how many voice coils a sub has, the rating for the sub is for the sub.  That said, to your questions...

Oh, and it doesn't matter to the sub whether you wire them parallel or series.  It matters to the amp, because impedance load is what makes an amp produce the power.  That said, again....

Would two 275 watt subs be louder than one 350 watt sub?  Well, 2 X 275 = 550, and 550 is more than 350, so that's one reason why 2 would be louder than one.  The other reason is that the doubling of sub cone area will also increase the SPL...by 3 db.  In all, probably a 5 db increase using the two subs.  Maybe more with the increase in enclosure volume acting on the cabin gain.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  

was your sub rated at 350 peak or rms?  i dont think that 550 watts would hurt that sub if it only saw that much power on musical peaks.  when you say the sub is blown, how do you mean?  is it popping when you play it, thats a sure sign of overpowering which could be caused by poor enclosure design as well as to big of an amp.  remember power handling goes down on subs that are in poorly tuned ported boxes or sealed boxes which are to big.  if the sub just stopped working and you smell burned coils, then the vc probably fried which is a sign of a clipped signal going to the sub so you may want to check your gain settings all the way down the signal path.  amps also produce distortion (clipping)if they do not have enough current to produce a signal, clean or not. 

if you switch to 2 subs you will be louder.  make sure the proper box can fit though.  one sub in a good box usually sounds better than 2 in a crap box.  good luck   

Drewt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

Ok, the sub was rated for 350 watts RMS, and the amp was 550 RMS.....although I have been told that those subs should handle 500 watts RMS easy in a sealed box.

The main question I am asking is:  If I have two subs wired to a single amp, if the amp is rated at 550 watts, then will the subs will get 275 watts each??

I really don't care about how much louder my sub is, since the Infinity Perfect I have now already will overpower my front stage easily.....I need to get a seperate amp for the front speakers now......but since there only coax's, then that's a waste of money.......ah, this is just a huge money hole......

Ok, my question is really irrevelent now, since I've decided not to go with two woofers (don't have the space, and two 12" subs is just crazy overkill for me), I'm just gonna get an alpine Type-R 12", one of the new ones rated for 500 watts.....that should mate nicely in my sealed box with the 550 watt amp...

-Drew

Drewt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  

oh, and by "blown", I mean that when I pulled the sub out of the box, white smoke came out, and the sub was hot to the touch.....then I measured the impedence of the coils....one was 4 like it was supposed to be, the other was 1.5.....not too good....

I'm 100% shure the woofer is blown..lol

-Drew

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic