icon

did i wire my sub wrong ? urgent help plz

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blg748 
Copper - Posts: 194
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 8:36 PM / IP Logged  
Ok its been 6 months since i got the sub and i have it wired in the way it its. today i got to put a meter to it analog set it to ohms for ressistance put + on red post and - on black post it reads 1 ohm. The sub is a dual 2 ohm sub a JL AUDIO 12w3v2 D2 i sware this is exactly how its wired in picture but according to series laws meter should read 4ohms not 1 ohm. look at atatched picture maye you guys can help me out
here is wher the pic
this is dual 2 ohm sub why the heck is it reading 1 ohm on meter? did i wire wrong ?
newtone 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
sometimes if your amp is on or even hooked up to the woofer when you check impedance you will get unexpected results.  if the sub wasnt hooked to an amp, yank it out and make sure you have a series connection.  thats the amp+to coil 1 + then coil 1- to coil 2 + then coil 2- to amp -
stang351w 
Silver - Posts: 350
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
well....if you did take the (+) from coil #1and run it to the (-) of coil #2 , then the (+) of coil #2 and run it to (-) of coil #1 it should read 4 ohm,  but check the resistance at the terminals of the sub, not the end of the wire, might be to small of wire or a bad spot in it giving you a wrong reading, i saw a guy at a local shop confused for 4 min because he had a dual 4 ohm voice coil parallel'd to 2 ohm's  but when he measured with the multi meter at the end of his 3 foot 16 guage speaker wire (yes 16 guage wire for a sub...go figure?)  he got a reading of 1.6ohm, untill he went to the terminal which he got almost a perfect 2 ohm......and to think...they higherd him over me? he aint even mecp certified and he uses crimp on wire caps...the life of a small town did i wire my sub wrong ? urgent help plz -- posted image.
blg748 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 8:56 PM / IP Logged  
ok sub was out of car not connected to amp and it is reading 1ohm wtf. and it is exactly wired the way you say. why it still reading 1 ohm
Ps the way its weird coil 1 - to coil 2 + , then coil 1 + to amp + and coil 2- to amp - is this right or wong im so damn confused. its
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  

Remove the speaker and disconnect all wires.  Measure the DC resistance on each voice coil.  What is it?  Are they the same? 

The DC resistance of a loudspeaker voice coil is NOT the same as the impedence rating of the speaker.  DCR is usually less than the rated impedence.

Support the12volt.com
blg748 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  
i belive on each side of the voice coil if i connect + to meter + and - to meter - i get 1 ohm. on each side.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  
With all the wires disconnected?  You read one ohm on each voice coil?
Support the12volt.com
blg748 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  
yuppppppppppppp
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  

With all the wires disconnected?  You read one ohm on each voice coil?  (DYohn)

yuppppppppppppp  (big748)
That's probably about right.  The impedance is 2 ohms per coil and the resistance reading is always less.  I've seen DCR measurements (of about 4.5 ohms) that indicate a woofer should be a 6 ohm but in fact it was considered an 8 ohm.  The meter may also not be precise with this measurement.  Sure doesn't look like anything to be alarmed about, IMO, especially since you haven't reported having any problems.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
blg748 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2005 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged  
ok thanks a lot i just dont understand why it reads abotu 1 ohm on the beter when i put the meter on the binding post outside box its wired for a 4ohm load. makes no sense. w/e   
but does that mean my amp is running at 1 ohm load because the amp does 500wrms @ 4 ohms bridged and its beign bridged right now does this 1 0hm reading on binding p ost effetct amp ?
PS The reason i metered the sub today is my new amp came in today PG 500.2 500wrs @ 4ohms as my previes did 300. I didnt notice much of a differnce and i even had to set the gain a bit higher on this amp for same output really weird to me.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic