icon

a quick ground/gauge question

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spilot 
Copper - Posts: 90
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
ok, i have a 4g power that runs through a distro= with 1 8 gauge coming out to my amp (saving the other 8 g for later). i still need to use the 4 gauge for ground (later, when i get the sub, it would go to a ground block with 2 8's in, and a 1x4g out), but for the time being it's a straight 4 gauge, correct?
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
a quick answer:  no.  Of course you can if you like, but the amp's power wire is 8 ga., so its ground wire doesn't have to be any bigger than that.  In this case the 4 ga. power wire is reduced to one 8 ga., so it will never carry more amperage than that 8 ga. wire will allow.  Make sure you fuse the 8 ga. wire at the distro block.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
spilot 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
so it's an 8ga ground then...cool. and yea, i run the fuse on my 4ga, then i have a fused distro (1x4=2x8)
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
Do what will be most convenient in the long run.  If it's difficult to get to the chassis ground location you may want to go ahead and get the 4 ga. wire attached now rather than later.  Then it would simply be a matter of switching from amp to distro later.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
spilot 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged  
yea...i just decided to run a str8 4 gauge into my amp, that's what the chart recommends anyways https://www.the12volt.com/info/recwirsz.asp , although on cardomain all the recommended kits were 8 gauge ones. i guess i wasted some money on the 8's distro etc, and should have gotten a 2 gauge + 2x4 for the future, but you learn as you go... :)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic