icon

Opinions on this Alpine set up!!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
vwgolf1128 
Copper - Posts: 120
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  

Hey, after reading up and getting a ton of questions thankfully answered by Alpine Guy, I have decided on my system. I am looking at the SBR-122CR( which is the 12'' Type R in the custom box), an Alpine MRD-M501 amp  and the Alpine CDA-9847 headunit. The sub is 300 wrms and the amp is 550 wrms. What are your opinions on this set up? Is it going to have more SPL or more SQ? Alpine Guy said that this will be pretty loud for 1 sub. Its going inside my VW Golf. This whole thing was over my budget, so i really hope it sounds good. Please post any suggestions or opinions!

PS: Also I have a monsoon factory head unit, which is a cd/radio player. Would there be any way to hook all of this up to that, instead of having to buy an aftermarket? I know it wouldnt sound as good, but would it sound that bad? Thanks Opinions on this Alpine set up!! -- posted image.

vwgolf1128 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  

Anyone?? I know someone has some suggestions! My mistake for the huge smiley.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  

Just use a Line Out Convertor (LOC) on the speaker wires for the rear speakers (or the easiest place to tap speaker wires) and it gives you rca outputs for your amp. Peripheral and scosche make a few inexpensive ones and Auidocontro and JL audio make some high end 6 channel ones. You will only need one like this or this.

customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
If you are overbudget alot I would drop the idea of buying a new head-unit and step down to the Alpine  amp. Ikesound has a pretty good price on it and it would be plenty for the Type R sub you would pair with it.  http://www.ikesound.com/product-product_id/2145MRD-M30. Just use an LOC like one of the two above and you should be fine.
vwgolf1128 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  

How would the sound quality be though compared to the aftermarket? I also heard it is hard to wire through VW's Monsoon Sound System.  Any other

vwgolf1128 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  

How is it compared to the aftermarket for sound quality though? And i also heard it is hard getting aftermarket things through VW's Monsoon Sound System.

customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  

One of those LOC's can be used with either the speaker outputs from the factory amp(s) or the preamp outputs from the factory deck. I would try the speaker outputs first then if that dosn't work well you could try the preamp outputs from the factory deck.

An aftermarket radio will sound better but if you are still using the factory amps and speakers then you wouldn't gain much sound quality (except in the amount of control over the sound like an EQ and crossovers) unless you bought new door speakers also. I would seriously try using an LOC before just jumping to the decision of buying a new deck.

soundzplus 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

u r right .... with the monsoon system u need some expensive parts. there are a couple of things to watch out for .. With the Monsoon stuff the amp had all the Xovers in it for all the speakers ... You will need to add some !

Better off changing the radio .. Best sound quality

customsuburb 
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  

Getting a new deck would be best but it's not in his budget. Even if the amp has crossovers built in you can still tap the LOC into the leads going to any speakers that have a crossover that allows low frequencys to pass.

vwgolf1128 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 9:44 PM / IP Logged  

I will need to add some what soundzplus? If i get an aftermarket, will it go around those problems?

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic