icon

Fiberglass and then wood ?How? Pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
craigroyse 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2005 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, I started a project with my buddy on his truck. It's like a 1991 chevy silverado. I started off by laying masking tape and then some painters tape, then i layed 1 layer of fiberglass mat. I'm going to have to use mdf wood to make the top and possibly a side or 2.
How will I connect the fiberglass i have to that wood?
I have read alot about people adding fiberglass to their box that has started out with wood, but this box starts out with the mold of the fiberglass. This is my first project so any tips would really help out.
Sorry, could not get my pics loaded, said something about only able to be 30 kb and mine was 199kb
thanks,
craig
doc t 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 6:05 AM / IP Logged  
If you have to make two sides out of MDF, i would scribe cut the mdf frame  to match the edges of the mold that you make and attach the edges with a couple of small nails to hold it in place, then lay glass over the edge seam to get a good bond between the two at least three inches wide on each side of the joint, then continue to lay glass to your desired thickness over the entire project. with out a pic it is hard to give ideas but if it is what i'm seeing in my mind that is the way i would do it.
All Bleeding stops.....eventually!
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 7:27 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah if were thinking what you're saying i'd follow what doct  says.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
craigroyse 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
I have heard about glass but i don't know what it is. Could you explain glassing a little bit for me. Thanks
doc t 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 8:00 AM / IP Logged  
it's my way of saying fiberglass, it just resin and the mat or cloth, lay down some resin then cover that wet area with the fiberglass and then add more resin, dab with a short bristle brush (1/2 to 1/4 in bristle) and so on and so on.
All Bleeding stops.....eventually!
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 11:24 AM / IP Logged  
I always just use a little hot glue to hold it in place. Then lay some fiberglass overlapping both your mold and the wood. The wood will soak up the resin and then your good. The wood will break well before that joint does.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 11:49 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah hot glue does wonders for fiberglassing, I would ever never thought I would make such use out of that little gun I bought from walmart to just cover the tops of pennys with hot glue.      Just an fyi I was like 10 or 12 when I was doing this.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
soda pop 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
i usually cut the mdf to fit the glass mold. dosen't have to be perfect but close. then i use either duraglass or marglass to join the two. then of course resin and mat to make sure that the seal is good. by using duraglass or marglass you dont have to keep relayering the glass to get strength.
if at first you don't succeed, kick it, burn it and throw it away.
soda pop 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
i usually cut the mdf to fit the glass mold. dosen't have to be perfect but close. then i use either duraglass or marglass to join the two. then of course resin and mat to make sure that the seal is good. by using duraglass or marglass you dont have to keep relayering the glass to get strength.
if at first you don't succeed, kick it, burn it and throw it away.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic