icon

Capacitor or Red top?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
xb2002 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  

I have had a pair of hx2 dual 2ohm in a 92 acura legend now for 2 years no problems with a kicker 360 (720rms i think)pushing them. When I installed the subs I ran 1/0 welding lead from the front battery positive to the rear battery positive(both red tops). I also ran a 12" 1/0 from front battery to strut tower, and rear to frame. I ran a #2 welding lead from my alt to my front battery positive, and the same size ground bolted to the alt. I had 3 other 8 gauge grounds to to header core on front end, firewall, and fender. In the trunk I used #2 welding leads and connected my amp directly to the battery. This setup gave me a good sounding loud system.

I am new to capacitors.  I just sold the car and I bought a T10001bd and a pair of P3's. I will be installing them into a 98 chrysler sebring. I am curious if a double battery setup like I had in the acura would be reliable in the Sebring??  I didnt have a isolator, nor a fuse. I am an automotive tchnician with 10yrs exp. I didnt install a fuse between batterys because of financial reasons at the time. I will not be playing the system longer than a minute or two at idle. 

So I guess my questions is caps???? or  extra bateries???

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
New ho alt if anything. Extra batteries or caps would be a waste of money, imo.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
Alternator FIRST, then battery, then if you got a couple hundred extra for bling, go for the cap... They do little to nothing for a properly set-up electrical system. Also, this time, put fuses in the leads! You are ASKING for a fire if something happens...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
xb2002 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 12:58 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been around car audio for a long time. Just never worked at a stereo shop. Alt and batterys have always been the current supply upgrades. I guess I am just worried about frying my new amp by having a voltage drop. Theese capacitors seem to me just came out of no where!! All of a sudden shops are tring to sell you a $200 cap and a $200 install kit. lol Back in the day a guy in our town had the SPL world record with 16 15" subs, 4 Power 1000's 8 tractor batterys with 4 alternators...lol 4000 watts...Nowadays it's 4 15" with 16000 watts!!! My how have times changed!!!

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  
First, a temporary voltage drop isn't going to fry an amplifier. Second, an appropriately sized alternator will solve that problem for you.
Anyway, your observation is right - shops are pushing caps like crazy. The reason isn't their utility. The reason is rather the unfortunately successful misinformation by the sales people and relatively high profit margins.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
ull3030 
Copper - Posts: 55
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
xb2002 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been around car audio for a long time. Just never worked at a stereo shop. Alt and batterys have always been the current supply upgrades. I guess I am just worried about frying my new amp by having a voltage drop. Theese capacitors seem to me just came out of no where!! All of a sudden shops are tring to sell you a $200 cap and a $200 install kit. lol Back in the day a guy in our town had the SPL world record with 16 15" subs, 4 Power 1000's 8 tractor batterys with 4 alternators...lol 4000 watts...Nowadays it's 4 15" with 16000 watts!!! My how have times changed!!!

I remember in the 80's when it took at least 4- 15" subs to reach 140+ Db's now you can do it with one 12"
soundzplus 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 7:22 AM / IP Logged  

ok ---

Looks like some peeps NEED an education about the cars power and how it relates to car audio - -

First of all - The hi-output alternator is an important part -- then you need reserve power also known as a battery - optima / stinger / whoevers battery

then as the voltage travels down the power wire  - it has a varying amount of AC ripple -soo by the time it gets to your amps it needs to be filtered -

NOW  - Heres where "that waste of Money" the cap comes in -

1: A cap filters AC ripple  -   

2: A cap can recharge the amps internal caps faster than the battery can and can recharge itself at a faster rate than any battery

3: This allows at hi volume the amplifier to maintain a constant stable power supply

So - it might be a good idea to do the homework before decide

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
soundzplus wrote:

ok --- NOW  - Heres where "that waste of Money" the cap comes in -

1: A cap filters AC ripple  -   

2: A cap can recharge the amps internal caps faster than the battery can and can recharge itself at a faster rate than any battery

3: This allows at hi volume the amplifier to maintain a constant stable power supply

4. But ONLY if there is already enough voltage and current available from the alternator and battery to sustain the amplifier's normal demand AND to recharge the capacitor.

Support the12volt.com
soundzplus 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

Last time i checked --- a capacitor doesnt need a hi-out put alternator to "Charge" caps ..

So  - anyone with any experience in Car audio -- or 12volt in general  - should know this

This is the "12volt.com" right ?...

Just checkin

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 11:50 AM / IP Logged  
No a cap doesn't need a HO alternator to charge. But in that case while its charging it is drawing power away from your amps. A cap is not a cold fusion device. If the current is not already there, then a cap aint gonna put it there.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic