the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Capacitor or Red top?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 12:48 PM / IP Logged  
soundzplus wrote:

Last time i checked --- a capacitor doesnt need a hi-out put alternator to "Charge" caps ..

So - anyone with any experience in Car audio -- or 12volt in general - should know this

This is the "12volt.com" right ?...

Just checkin

No, you are correct, a cap does not REQUIRE a HO alternator. BUT when a cap discharges for a loud beat of music, the remaining energy in that cap becomes a bit less. A cap, when connected to a power source (in this case the alternator/battery) will ALWAYS want to be fully charged, to it's maximum capacity in Joules. When a bass beat hits, SOME of the energy stored in the cap is used in the form of current, to supplement the POSSIBLE current sag from the battery. The cap WILL NEVER discharge all the way, which is, I think, a misconception some people have. It will then proceed to suck current from the alternator/battery FASTER than it put it out. This is a VERY short current drag (on the order of milliseconds, or even microseconds - it depends on how much current the battery can provide for this drain. Yes, I said battery, because it is a LOWER IMPEDANCE device than the alternator, also, electrochemical rather than electromechanical, so therefore faster), but the current peak can be HUNDREDS of amps, depending on how much energy was depleted from it during the bass hit.
oonikfraleyoo wrote:
No a cap doesn't need a HO alternator to charge. But in that case while its charging it is drawing power away from your amps. A cap is not a cold fusion device. If the current is not already there, then a cap aint gonna put it there.
Please see the above note: Additionally, because the cap DOES recharge (but in milliseconds) almost immediately, there is little chance that your amplifier will notice the current gulp your cap is "stealing" from it for it's recharge cycle. And actually, if the current is not already there, THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT A CAP IT PUT THERE TO DO! Fill in the current sag from the primary source. Also while all this discharging/recharging is going on, the alternator has had time to START PRODUCING ENOUGH CURRENT to fill in all of the potential sags in the power stream. This is why, if your alternator cannot make enough current, it will make current until it reaches it's capability, make that amount of current until it can't anymore, due to thermal or mechanical stresses, and if it does NOT fail, the battery will discharge further and further, until the entire electrical system fails. This IS a worst-case scenario, but this is basically what can happen. 
(IMAGE DELETED. SEE MESSAGE BELOW) 
I drew this up to let people visualize what actually happens with your electrical system. This should be pretty easy for everybody to understand. Just imagine everything being at 14.4 pounds of pressure (or 14.4 VOLTS) and it is a closed system.
You can see in this system what will happen if you allow your electrical system to be overloaded, and how the alternator and cap work, too...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  
Show me a cap recharges in miliseconds. Most 1 farad caps recharge in 10 - 20 seconds, which is plenty of time to suck power away from your amps.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, a cap recharges through a resistor in 10 to 20 seconds, but there is no resistor in this circuit. It is connected DIRECTLY to the high gurrent source of the battery. Have you ever connected a dead cap to a battery, and you get that HUGE spark? That is the charging of that cap. You can do the math for yourself (maybe).
Here is a link for you to SEE FOR YOURSELF how fast a cap will recharge. I used a resistance of .006 ohms (a reasonable number for 10 feet of #4 cable, 1F is 1000000 microfarads (that's one million) and a voltage of 14.4 volts. The result was .006 seconds, or 6 MILLISECONDS at 2400 amps. And this is from a completely discharged state. A partially charged cap will recharge faster than that. even a 40F cap will reach full charge in .24 seconds. That's LESS than 1/4 of a second...
Still wanna help out? HUH?
:::Edit:::
Sorry for the tone... I don't like it when people question me...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Sorry for the tone... I don't like it when people question me...

Oh yea? Why not?  :)

Capcitors will attempt to resist any change in voltage by charging and discharging.  The charge or discharge will happen instantaneously (in theory.  It is limited by many things as described above.)  Basic electrical theory.

Support the12volt.com
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
Hey haemphyst, I question your damn BIG drawing!  (Do I need the widescreen model?)  lol
haemphyst 
Posted: February 18, 2005 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
somebody shrunk my pic... bwahahaha Sorry about the "big picture". It's tough to scale down from a 21 inch LCD monitor. DYohn, if you want to delete the one above, here is a better copy - more suited for 1024x768 monitors, without the loss of reolution.
Capacitor or Red top? - Page 2 - Last Post -- posted image.
Try this one on for size...
ty 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 3:37 AM / IP Logged  
great analogy haemphyst.
xb2002 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

I have decided to go with a upgraded alternator. The recipitent for the system is a 98 Sebring. It has a mitisubishi alternator in it , and my local alt shop said he can double it from 90-180amps. I plan to do this and use my red top. My new question is how many caps should I use and what farads?   t10001bd, 2 P3's  Coustic 460 on highs.

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  

At this point in time, no caps at all. You have no idea until the system is installed if you need them or not. Read the grounding stickies first, this will give you some very good info to follow first.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic