icon

Too much amp output

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
Exactly, no one should have given you the car, rather arranged you some means of transportation in the meantime.  I do agree that you should have them run a full diagnostic, and if you're not satisfied, then have your dealer take a look.  Your ABS light could be as simple as a blown fuse, but could also be a more serious issue with the BCM.
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
Master Asylum 
Silver - Posts: 400
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  

Ok, I'm not sure on the setup they did on my car, hopefully I will find that out today to find out if this was a shop error or not. I'm not sure how strict the liability would be on the shop since I brought my own alternator and not a store purchased one in. And no, I didn't sign any waiver, though I personally feel at fault for driving it I guess even with the warning.

As for Alterstart, I got in contact with them already and they said it should have a regulator on it, so if the alternator was put in correctly, should I pursue them for the damages or still the shop? (Assuming there is anything more than the battery being fried, because I'll eat that well enough to just get a running car again.)

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
2xRockford 5.25" Power 2-way T152C
2xRockford 6"x9" Punch 3-way FRC4369
1xMemphis 16-MCH1300 5-channel
2xKicker 12" L5 Solobaric-2 Ohm
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
If it has a regulator in it then it is faulty. I would ask for a whole new alternator and a replacement battery from alterstart.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 8:30 AM / IP Logged  
What about any electrical issues? And more so, what if they push the issue I still operated it after knowing it was that high? I have justified reasons, but stupidity doesn't hold worth anything legally.
1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 9:33 AM / IP Logged  

Ok update on this situation:

Getting my old alt put back in today so I have a freaking car again. *sigh* I asked them to check over the wiring instructions Alterstart gave me with the alternator. The only thing slightly off he said was that he used the new 4 Gauge cable with the old (6 or 8 Gauge I'd guess) as well. Like both connected to the alternator and to the same spot on the starter. This wouldn't affect the alternator in anyway would it? He said it'd just be like using a 2 gauge wire basically, which kinda makes sense but I wanna be absolutely SURE before I send the alternator back.

Concerning Alterstart:

Go figure, they won't take liability for any damage done to my vehicle because of their faulty component. Not sure what law would be doing in this case if my computer is whacked.

EDIT: Reply ASAP on that wire thing would be great BEFORE they switch it out in the next hour or 2.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 9:43 AM / IP Logged  

the wire thing is perfectly fine, it wont affect your voltage at all, ,all it will do is benifit you by allowing more amperage to pass, which is what you want.

As for alterstart..did they say they tested the unit before they sent it?  if they did you can ding them there, if not , then there a shi!!y company and you should send it back and never buy another product from them ever again.  I have a hook up with mechman alts i can get anyone a 5% discount off there normal price, that will be underway by next week.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 9:57 AM / IP Logged  

Well here's the alterstart thing:

They have a disclaimer on their site basically protecting them from being responsible for the damage to my car. And I won't pursue the shop as I am just as at fault as them, and they had no clue these morons provided me with a faulty piece of equipment. This alternator also came with a test sheet showing that it had a voltage regulator and it was set at 14.57 (14.55 hot) and Voltage regulater functions test within specs.  Output current tested at 12.8 volts. And its got some other stuff. (I can post after like 1 if you want when the g/f is home with a digi camera)

Concerning returns, I have to have an RMA # that I get through them. Not sure what the hell that is, and I dunno if I wanna even talk to these people right now. "No returns on electrical parts..." Would altenrator qualify as an electrical part?

EDIT: Found the part where it says no refunds. Dammit. NO REFUND/ 2 YEAR WARRANTY. *sigh* I don't see how they tested this alternator before it went out and didn't find that it had a defective part...

EDIT 2: Caution; If original equipment charge wire is used with the high output altenrator, serious damage to system electronic components may occur. Do not install circuit breaker or fusible link between Load Boss alternator and starting battery.

We are sure that the original wire isn't the problem? :/ Sorry, just really wanna get my business done with Alterstart.

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  

An RMA is a return materials authorization.  It is a tracking number and is standard procedure for sending something back to a company for repair or refund.

"Disclaimers" on web sites or printed material generally means nothing legally unless you signed an agreement stating that you accept their terms.  Did you sign anything?  If not, call an attorney if the damage to your car is substantial.  If the damage is small call the Better Business Bureau.

Support the12volt.com
Master Asylum 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  

Good point, I might contact one of my teachers from my college session and ask if he knows anything about this since he is a contract lawyer he might know how binding this would be. (Business Law 101, weee)

1998 Monte Carlo w/
Eclipse CD8454
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
A disclamer on a website won't hold up for more that 2 seconds in a court. They just say that to basically keep you from suing unless you know the law. I belive that nothing is binding in court unless you sign it. You see stuff on software, etc. that says by opening it, you agree to the terms of use....that's bull....
I'm not a lawyer, so you may wanna find out for shure
-Drew
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic