icon

I'm new here :)

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 19, 2005 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  

You could either use the accessory lead off the ignition harness to power your extras, or you could use a relay as customsuburb suggested.  If you used a relay, and I'd use 10 gauge at the most, but probably 12 gauge.  There's really no need for anything bigger, because you're drawing less than 10 amps max for those accessories and trying to connect 8 gauge wire to a relay wouldn't be fun.  Yes, though, the way you have your relay configured would be correct.  I'd fuse everything separately.

For your alternator, a 200 amp fuse would be fine.  Just like you said, you're not going to draw anywhere near this much.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
sts15l7 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  

wow...thank u so much geepherder. i really owe u...u were all patient with my noob-ness and everything. i know for sure that there probably isnt anything in car audio that i know more about than u, but if u ever do need any help and if i can help in ANY way, plz let me know :-)

thanks bro

-mir

sts15l7 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  

ohhh i forgot to ask u. geepherder, im sure theres a few different wires in the ignition harness (ignition, accessory, etc etc). is the accessory wire (that keeps accessories on when the car is off but the key is in) different from the ignition wire (that keeps the accessories on when the car is on)? if so, do i have to upgrade both of those wires or will upgrading the accessory wire take care of it?

thanks...

sts15l7 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
hey customsuburb...a question for u bro...when u use a relay, do u have to ground each of the components or do u just put their 12V power wire to #30 and #85 takes care of all the ground? thanks
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 11:10 AM / IP Logged  
You need to ground all of your components. You will probobly want to ground everything to the same spot.
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 7:41 PM / IP Logged  

The difference between the accessory wire and the ignition wire is the ignition wire retains power while the starter cranks.  An accessory wire will lose power while the starter cranks in order to supply all available juice where it's needed most- the starter.  Don't worry about upgrading these wires, though.  If it makes it easier for you, just tap the accessory wire at the radio to control your relay.  Yes, as customsuburb said, you need to ground all your components.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
sts15l7 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 10:59 AM / IP Logged  

thank u so much bro (geepherder and customsuburb)

when i have everything together, imma take some pics and show u guys. u were a big help...again thanks

-mir

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic