icon

Distro block or 2 Power Leads?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
FreakypervSD 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 1:19 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2 amps 150 (2 channel) and 120 (4 channel), My question is, Would running 2 power leads from the battery ok to do instead of using a distribution block? I know I would have to use a fuse on both lines. But is using a distribution fuse block really neccessary? thanks

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  

1. Yes.  And 2. No it's not, as long as both wires are properly fused for the wire rating.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
I have had my car both ways. I personally like the 2 seperate wires on my car, but I would use 1 and a distribution block on an install for others. It just looks more professional to me.
'85 Toy
deocder 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
Wouldn't running two wires instead of one increase the overall resistance? Say if you run, 2 eight gauge wires, the overall resistance would be greater than if you ran 1 4 gauge wire. I'm not sure how this would affect performance though.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 3:13 PM / IP Logged  

This is one amp per wire, so as long as the wires are plenty large enough for max amp draw it's fine to do.  And, there is resistance added any time a connection is made such as a disto block, or the second fuse holder and fuse, too.  That would be neglible as well.  Compared to the resistance that the audio has through chassis ground, the points of resistance in the power line don't count for much.

wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
The only problem with running two wires as opposed to one are the need for more materials. 2x the wire, 2x the fuse holders, 2x the ring terminals for the battery (if you're using ring termnials)...2x the holes in the firewall...
~wayland
FreakypervSD 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  

ok so besides the extra material there wouldn't be any blown amps, speakers and or car turning into  a big blazing ball of flame down the freeway...and thank you so much for the info

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic