icon

Cavalier Gauge Cluster Problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ophidia31 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
Hey, I just installed a deck and amp in my friends 2003 cavalier. The only thing I did different from any other newer cavalier is i disconnected the battery, now when i reconnected the battery there is nothing going on in the gauge cluster. the only things that light up are the check engine light and theft light when you first start the car but then they go out. I checked every fuse that is there thrice so i made sure i didnt miss anything. i checked all connections at the bcm, back of the cluster and pcm just to make sure that i didnt inadvertly hit a plug loose. still nothing. does anyone have any idea as to what the hell this could be or if anyone saw this problem before? dont want to have to go to the dealer for something that might be simple to fix. thanks
mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 7:18 PM / IP Logged  

I did a deck in a 2000 sunfire and while i was disassembling the car I had a fellow installer wire up the harness. He wired up the amp turn on wire even though there was no amp. (factory or aftermarket) We had similar issues with the gauge cluster, until we disconnected the amp turn on wire.  If you have the wire hooked up just to the aftermarket amp you should be fine with that, but if its tied in with the factory amp wire, disconnect it. Hope this takes care of the problem.

ophidia31 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
nope, it was just the speakers, illumination, constant 12v and ground and ran my own switched 12v. it happened before i did the switched 12v wire since i had to hook the battery back up since i was positive on which wire to tap into but i test them anyway. so its not the switched wire that messed it up. i tried disconnecting the aftermarket radio and just using the factory one and it still doesnt work. its really nagging me because i never mess anything up. if there was a blown fuse itd be a start, but there is nothing, nothing that would lead to not making the gauges work. i think it deals something with leaving the battery undone for an amount of time but that would be gay if that did stupid crap like this. Cavalier Gauge Cluster Problems - Last Post -- posted image.
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
Did you check all the fuses under the hood?
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
ophidia31 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 8:11 PM / IP Logged  

Alpine Guy wrote:
Did you check all the fuses under the hood?

yep, checked EVERY fuse in the car at least 3 or more times thinking maybe i missed one.

geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
Did you verify the fuses with a meter, or did you just look at them?
My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
ophidia31 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  

geepherder wrote:
Did you verify the fuses with a meter, or did you just look at them?

yep, continuity tested with my fluke

chris354 
Silver - Posts: 253
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
I would try hooking factury radio back up and see if it makes the gauges come back on. Those systems are are on a data buss . I am not for sure if that would have an effect on the gauges or not but worth a try.  

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic