2001 Hyundai Santa Fe light wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
timj 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

G'day from sunny Western Australia :)

My wife recently purchased a 2001 Santa Fe, it has a small "nudge" bar on the front (roo bar here in Australia) and I went to install a couple of extra driving lights (spot lights). Was going fine until I came to connect to the high beam. Motor running lights on low beam and no spotlights, high beam the spots also come on switch lights off and all is well :) Now the strange part, turn off the motor and remove the ignition key and the spots come back on again ! So got the multimeter out and strange to find with no keys in ignition there is +12volts to each wire at the headlight end !??!!??! Confused me a while, then thinking about it I figure they must be switching the earth and not the +12 wires. I have wired it all thru a relay & dash mounted switch.

From here on in I am stumped, I cannot "hear" a relay clicking when I swithc headlights between high and low beam... Does anyone know where I have gone wrong ? Is there an easyier way to fix it ? Here in Australia the law states that if you have spotlights on your vehicle you must wire them thru the high beam AND also have a switch internally so you can turn them off too, you cannot drive around suburbia with the spots on at all, only used for country roads. We do a fair amount of night driving outside the city area and the place is full of Kangaroo's on the side of the road just near where we live as there is a wildlife reserve in the area.

Any help or suggestions really appreciated.

Tim.

Timj
Perth, 6063
Western Australia
ituneyou 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
I would just forget about hooking up the high beams portion of the install, you said you got a relay and a dash mounted switch? why not take the wire off the high beams and hook it up up to 12volt+ ignition, heres a quick diagram the might work for you.
I assume you're using a bosch type of relay.
ok take pin 86 from relay to chassis ground
30 to 12v+ from battery, make sure you fuse the wire at battery.
87 goes to spotlights.
hook up one side of the dash mounted switch to 12v+ignition
the other side of switch to pin 85 of relay.
86-ground
30-12v+ battery
87- spotlights
85- 12v+ from switch.
good luck,
              steve
A man has got to know his limitations
timj 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 2:57 AM / IP Logged  

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Do not ask me why but here in Aus it is LAW that they HAVE to be hooked up to the high beam so thats what has to be done.

I have 3 wires feeding the H4 globe in the Santa Fe, with ignition switched OFF all three have 12 volts, what I have found is they are switching the ground to positive when the ignition is switched off so it is not possible to remove the key and leave the headlights on thus draining the battery.

So, I have figured out which wire is indeed the ground wire, I propose to connect this wire back to the ground on the relay (86) instead of just grounding 86 to the chassis, then when the key is removed it should stop the spots coming on by themselves :) This is the only way I can see it working. Problem with not being able to buy a workshop manual in Australia just yet.

30 - 12V+ battery

87 - spotlights

85 - to switch then onto the highbeam

86 to the headlight ground. (Will only be grounded when ignition is turned on)

Again, thanks for the reply Steve.

Cheers

Tim

Timj
Perth, 6063
Western Australia
nyrotoho 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2005 at 2:39 AM / IP Logged  
timj wrote:

G'day from sunny Western Australia :)

My wife recently purchased a 2001 Santa Fe, it has a small "nudge" bar on the front (roo bar here in Australia) and I went to install a couple of extra driving lights (spot lights). Was going fine until I came to connect to the high beam. Motor running lights on low beam and no spotlights, high beam the spots also come on switch lights off and all is well :) Now the strange part, turn off the motor and remove the ignition key and the spots come back on again ! So got the multimeter out and strange to find with no keys in ignition there is +12volts to each wire at the headlight end !??!!??! Confused me a while, then thinking about it I figure they must be switching the earth and not the +12 wires. I have wired it all thru a relay & dash mounted switch.

From here on in I am stumped, I cannot "hear" a relay clicking when I swithc headlights between high and low beam... Does anyone know where I have gone wrong ? Is there an easyier way to fix it ? Here in Australia the law states that if you have spotlights on your vehicle you must wire them thru the high beam AND also have a switch internally so you can turn them off too, you cannot drive around suburbia with the spots on at all, only used for country roads. We do a fair amount of night driving outside the city area and the place is full of Kangaroo's on the side of the road just near where we live as there is a wildlife reserve in the area.

Any help or suggestions really appreciated.

Tim.

Bob
timj 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2005 at 5:24 AM / IP Logged  

Have figured it out, pretty easy remidy, once I sat down and thought about it. Because they are switching the ground on the lights I just connected ground from the headlights to the ground on the relay and removed the relay ground to chassis connection I had made, problem solved :)

Cheers

Tim

Timj
Perth, 6063
Western Australia

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic