icon

3 prong relay?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Hondastomper 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 8:51 PM / IP Logged  
Ok check this out. I'm installing this guys Boa remote start & power locks system today. When I got to the power locks I noticed it called for two 3 prong relays
(30, 87, 87A). so I look all over town and cant find any. Does anybudy were I can get some, or am I suposed to be using a 4 prong and the book didnt tell me were to put the forth wire.
Thanks
John
boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
I havent seen a manual that uses the term 3 prong relays. I think your looking for a standard SPDT relay at 30 amp.   It will have terminals 85, 86, 87, 87A, and 30
Hondastomper 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  
Thats what I was thinking, but the relay diagram doesn't show what to do with 85 and 86. I do know that the locks are posative and so is the alarm. I'm at a lost. any help would be great.
thanks
John
boomer_106 
Silver - Posts: 710
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  

Ok John I think I can help you here. You didnt mention what year, make, and model of car you were working on. What you will do though is connect the wire from your box which you said is positive to terminal 85. Connect terminal 86 to ground. Connect 87 to  +12 volts and 30  to the door lock wire. Do the same with the other relay connecting to the unlock wire. Leave terminal 87a blank.

Now if the outputs from your alarm are Negative then things will be a bit different. In that case you would connect terminal 86 to +12volts.  Be sure to use fuses on these 12 volt wires also.

Finally you can find the relays at probably a million places but here is one place I have ordered from before and was happy with.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=330-073

hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
They normally call them a Horn Relay. Any Auto Parts Store will know what you are talking about if you ask for it by that name. The case is metal and Grounded to one side of the coil and to the chassis of the car. A starter solenoid is also a 3 prong Relay.
John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
Hondastomper 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
You guys are great. For the record its a 2000 ford countor with factory power locks. I'm adding a remote startand and power lock remote. the system I have been forst to use is a BOA model 265B. judging buy the output wires for the power lock (they are pos) I believe I should use the positive trigger relay drive system.
I'm going to try to upload an image of the scimattic hope it works
ituneyou 
Member - Posts: 40
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 12:35 AM / IP Logged  
Why bother with relays the cars door locks are positive trigger just hook up the wires from the alarm straight in to the wires that are found in the drivers kick panel
lock- WHITE/ green
unlock-YELLOW /GREEN
hope this helps,
             steve
A man has got to know his limitations
Hondastomper 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 5:47 AM / IP Logged  
Then why in the hell did boa say they needed relays? stupid boa, Thats what I thouhgt it would be.
ophidia31 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2005 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
they tell you to use them because the system probably wont put out enough juice to drive the current taken by the door locks to lock and unlock. it may work for a while but can fail down the road. the use of relays is more like a fail safe instead of a usless item to use.
Hondastomper 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 13, 2005 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
very good point, I went and found the relays at a parts store. The system is up and running know.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic