icon

Have A new Sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fastinanaurora 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
I just upgraded to a Kicker Solo baric L7 10, after frying my L5... basically what happened is it smoked during the breaking in period, maybe too high volume...and it stopped, I turned it down for a few weeks then turned it back up, and I could smelled the sub burning... And then my sub and amp would cut off every time I turned it up... that does mean its no good no more right.
Anyhow what exactly do I need to do to breakin my new L7...I have a Kicker 600.1 mono amp the sub is wired in parrallel, pos. to pos/neg to neg... Where should I put the gain and bass boost and crossover on the kicker KX 600.1. I have the gain set at half way, bass boost AT 3/4 and CROSSOVER all the way to the right or all the way up...
Thanks in advance.
What makes my car Bang:
Kicker KX 600.1 Mono amp (2004)
Kicker Solobaric L7 10 (2004)
Long Ported Box Single
Kicker 200.4 4 Channel(2004)
Kicker DX 60 6 1/2
Rockford Fosgate FRC3369 6x9
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 10:46 PM / IP Logged  
Hmm...I think you have a problem other than not breaking it in. The breakin should be just to loosen the surround up a little. I can't think of any reason not breaking it in right would make it smoke. You might want to check your wiring before you hook the new one up. Also without even knowing the proper settings of that amp I can tell you that your way off. Gain is not a volume control. There are other people here that can explain that better than me though. Try doing a search or look at the JL audio website. They have a good tutorial.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  

"I have the gain set at half way, bass boost AT 3/4 and CROSSOVER all the way to the right or all the way up... "

Wow.  No offense, but I'm not surprised you smoked that sub.  You obviously took 0 time to learn what those controls do and how to intelligently set them.

1)  Turn the stupid bass boost off

2)  Learn what a crossover actually is and where you should set it.
3)  Learn what gain actually is and how you should set it.

Do this learning at http://www.bcae1.com   if you have questions ask here. 

Do NOT run your sub until you are sure you've set the amplifer up. 

If you aren't sure how, are too lazy to learn how, or just don't want to learn, then see an installer and don't touch the settings after he sets them for you.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Posted: February 20, 2005 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  
Ok I know he had everything whacked up, but would the gain setting cause the sub to smoke?? I'm not trying to be rude but, were you just blasting it?
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
kfr01 
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
He was severely clipping the amplifier to the point where he was probably sending near square waves to the driver.
This will smoke any subwoofer eventually if the amplifier is powerful enough.
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 1:20 AM / IP Logged  
The amplifier you have was a bit over-kill for the L5.  They're rated at 450 watts RMS.  That 600.1 is rated at 600 watts RMS at 13.8 volts.  Since cars typically put out 14.4 volts,  it's actually putting out closer to 700 watts RMS. 
If you were reallllllly cranking those woofers with the gain set improperly, and the bass boost on,  it is possible to fry them. 
Another way to fry them is not getting enough power to the amp.  If your electrical system cant provide a good amount of current to the amplifier, the amplifier will start putting out DC power, which will definately destroy a speaker in time.
Just remember, the gain isn't a volume control.  It is merely a method of matching the signal put out by head unit.  While breaking in the woofers,  the bass boost should be off completely (and don't use any bass remote), and head unit bass options should be off.  The gain shouldn't be set high in any case.  Also, depending on what Kicker reccommends, break in should last about 30 hours.
In any case, something is definately wrong if your subs are smoking.  If you don't feel comfortable doing the installation on your own, or you don't know everyting you're doing, take it to a professional (and that excludes Best Buy or Circuit CIty).  For  a few bucks, a pro will set it up for you properly, so that you don't destroy your car or stereo.
~wayland
1cam man 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 8:38 AM / IP Logged  
kicker recommends 2weeks of daily playing at low to medium listening levels.the sub is really stiff and needs time to break in,after the 2weks of break in time then you can crank it,they say buy doing this it will give you better responce and deeper bass.
kfr01 
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  

That's all fine and good but improper break-in wasn't the problem here - I'm sure of it.  The problem here was his insane amplifier settings.

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 9:27 AM / IP Logged  
kfr01 wrote:

That's all fine and good but improper break-in wasn't the problem here - I'm sure of it.  The problem here was his insane amplifier settings.

Seriously...with gain half way up and bass boost 3/4 up you are making that amp clip sooo bad probobly. Have A new Sub - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic