the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Is it necessary to aim a mid-bass driver?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
deocder 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 9:37 AM / IP Logged  
I will be installing my mid-bass driver in to the factory door location but was wondering if I should re-aim them for better sound quality.  I know that the lower frequencies are less directional but just want to see what you think about its placement. 
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
You are using a pair for stereo?  Should be fine.  No need to aim them.
Support the12volt.com
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 11:19 AM / IP Logged  

It's not really a directionality issue, but a beaming issue.  If they are only playing midbass frequencies, then you shouldn't need to aim them as beaming won't be a problem.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 11:44 AM / IP Logged  

So, to piggyback on the good posts above - remember to appropriately cross them over.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
deocder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, thanks for clearing that up. I plan on running 70 - 350 Hz to them (a/d/s/ 236is). Just not sure about the slopes yet...
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

So you are using the a/d/s/ mids for midbasses?  I was unhappy with the low extention on the 3 series mids.  You can find MUCH better midbasses out there, if you don't already have the speakers yet. 

As for slopes, the steeper the better. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

deocder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 4:35 PM / IP Logged  
Well maybe I need to rethink my speaker selection. These are just the speakers I already posess. I know that sound quality is a preference but what if I want compete in an SQ comp? I want my setup to sound the best. I want to do it right the first time.
So, maybe the a/d/s/ is not the right choice for the midbass....perhaps I should look at the Morel MW-164 or H6.1 again. Or maybe the Adire Extremis (availability?)....the only thing I am concerned with is that I wont be able to deliver enough power to them. I have dedicated an Orion 3752 for them. Most of these good mid-bass speakers are 8 ohm.
And maybe I should rethink my a/d/s/ seperates as well. I have two 346is tweeters, the comp crossovers, with two 236is woofers....not sure what happened to the 346is speakers...
I just want it to sound phenomenal.....
Steven Kephart 
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  

Well if you already have them, then definitely try them.  Due to the excursion capabilities, the Extremis will probably have the best midbass capabilities.  However to get that excursion we had to have a pretty large mounting depth (3.5" + .25" clearance for the pole vent).  So a shallower mount speaker might be a better option depending on your install. 

The a/d/s components are a very nice speaker set.  I would probably still be running my 336is components if they had better midbass capabilities.  BTW, I believe the mids on the 2 and 3 series components were the same.  I believe the difference was mainly in the crossover, and possibly the tweeter.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

deocder 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 10:28 PM / IP Logged  
Well I was looking between the Morel 164 and the Extremis and It looks like I'm going to try the Extremis. I am not worried about mounting depth, I will build out the door to accomodate the driver.
Will my Orion Xtreme 3752 match well with this driver?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic