icon

Isobaric VS Conventional Bandpass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, I am new here, although I have been reading threads on this site for years; I just decided to become a member.

I just wanted to take a kind of poll to figure out which will get the most SPL, or what treats your ears and internal organs the best. (you know because when you have found the best placement/tuning for your subs, your liver is the first one to tell you, because it feels like it wants to get up and run away).

I can't remeber what order bandpass it is (might be 7th, but that really isn't important) but it is the design that places two subs facing each other in one enclosure with different phase of course.

I know that Isobaric will definetely make the best of a very small space, which is definetely important in the world of SPL and packing big boom in a clown car, or CRX.

But out of everyone's experience, which enclosure type gives you the best response, SPL, or sound quality.  I have not yet experienced with two subs firing into one another so I guess the only way I will know myself is to try it.

I am mainly a big fan of the original 2 chamber per sub bandpass (one ported and one sealed), but of course even that enclosure has some serious drawback.

Tell me what you think

eh? what did you just say?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

A couple considerations:

Isobaric subs aren't really firing into one another.  Be careful how you wire them.  I.e. when one is firing "out" the other should be firing "in."  They support eachother - they don't work against eachother.  It is important to note that you gain NO SPL over a single subwoofer.  You only gain more space in your trunk.  With the advent of small sealed box subwoofers isobaric loading is not cost effective, in my opinion.  Think Adire Brahma or Image Dynamics that allow very small enclosure sizes per sub.  Of course, if you have an unlimited supply of money then you could isobaric THOSE drivers and fit even more pairs of subwoofers into your small car.  :-)

See http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/isobarik/index.html for more information on isobaric loading. 

Here's a really good page off that site regarding the setup of isobaric:  http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/isobarik/clam.html

See http://www.diysubwoofers.org/ for more information about bandpass enclosures. 

Generally bandpass sound like ass but get really loud.  I don't think they're a good solution at all for a small car - they require the largest boxes!

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic