icon

Speaker Recommendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hlevenson 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  

Hey guys, I know I'm another newbie and that you probably hear these questions all the time, but I'm on the fence about my front 6.5" comps in my 2003 Mazda6.  I'll be running a brand new Clarion DXZ655MP and a used PlanetAudio 5-channel amp from my previous car.  I believe the amp is 75w x 4 + 150w x 1.  I will most likely be installing the front comps in the stock locations - mids in the doors and tweets in the corners of the windows (about 18" apart).  I'll probably stick with the same brand for the rear fills and I'm not sure about the sub yet.  My goal is daily listening with as good a sound quality as I can get for my money.  I really want good stereo separation.  I listen to rock and jazz - Sarah McClachlan, No Doubt, Dave Matthews, Fishbone, Eminem even... and on the other extreme - Miles Davis, SpyroGyra, Weather Report, Al Dimeola, David Sanborn...

So here are my choices for front comps (max budget = $300):

• Memphis MCSQ6.5 ($250) - listened to these and liked them alot
  • Focal Polyglass 165V2 ($240) - listened to these and liked them but have heard they can be too bright
  • CDT CL-61A or CL-62 ($150) - haven't listened to these but heard they are very smooth and love the price

These are all silk dome tweets 'cuz I prefer less-tinny highs.  Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

howard l
2003 Mazda6 (installing on 5/19 !!!)
Eclipse 8445 w/SIR ECL1 Sirius Tuner
Polk/Momo c400.4 amp
Polk/Momo mmc570 coaxial (x2)
Directed/Sirius SIR-PS1 subs (x2) - the weakest link
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  

I'd check out the crossover frequencies and slopes.  Look as for a xo freq. as low as possible and as steep as possible.  This will minimize the negative effects of the less than optimal placement you'll have. 

That said, I really enjoyed the Memphis sound when I demoed their speakers.  They sounded like more expensive components.  We have similar musical tastes (excluding Eminem). 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 11:48 AM / IP Logged  
I like your choices.  I also prefer Memphis over the Focals.  CDT sounds very similar IMO and for the price is a steal.  You should also listen to a set of Boston SL60's or Alpine's SPX set , or a Morel Millenium set if you can find them.
Support the12volt.com
deocder 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 5:24 PM / IP Logged  
Welcome to the site, the guys above know what they are talking about. I am curious how these speakers rate in the world of SQ competition.....
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 5:57 PM / IP Logged  
I would still consider the MB Quarts with the titanuim tweeters. They have a adjustable attenuation for the tweeter if it is too bright for your ears. My suggestion is to head out and listen to some of these speakers if you can or if they are in your area. Take your cd with you and listen to them with your music. Now they are going to sound much different in your car and they more than likely are not going to be pointing right at your ears like a demo board does, keep this in mind. Buy the speakers that your ears prefer as we all hear different. Personally I love the Bose speakers, they are just fiiiiiiiine by my standards. Macrom and AVI are another set of speakers that should be given a quick listen to as well.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  

I agree with everything ^^^. I would not buy rear-fill speakers and instead maybe buy some midbass drivers for up front. These could then be powered off of the rear channels of the 5 channel amp. If you still want a little rear fill just connect your rear factory speakers to your head unit's amp.

Why are you set on placing the tweeters in your component set in the stock location? If you want the best SQ you can get then mount your component set in some kickpanels (you can make them or you can buy some). Then you could place a midbass driver in each door's stock woofer location (make sure to use some sound deadening on the door itself if you do this).

forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

Say what, you like Bose speakers? Since when? You must have been fibreglassing today. Speaker Recommendations -- posted image.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
hlevenson 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks all. I'd love to do kick panels but I have no fiberglass experience and there are no prefabs that I know of for the Mazda6. I'm trying to keep this fairly simple and budget friendly. All I can find are the univeral Q-Forms from Q-Logic. Does anyone know of anything made to fit a Mazda6?
Does anyone have a better suggestion for the tweet location? Would I be better off recessing them into the top of the dash aimed at the windshield? Will I have timing/phase issues with the tweets up that high?
If anyone within an hour or so of Cranford, NJ (Union County) can modify or make them for me at a reasonable price, I'm interested.
howard l
2003 Mazda6 (installing on 5/19 !!!)
Eclipse 8445 w/SIR ECL1 Sirius Tuner
Polk/Momo c400.4 amp
Polk/Momo mmc570 coaxial (x2)
Directed/Sirius SIR-PS1 subs (x2) - the weakest link
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
The closer to the midrange the better with the tweeter.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic