icon

Relay for Headlights & Park lights ?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Ron_toolman 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
Hi ,. I would like to have my headlights and running lights come on and stay on as long as the key is in the run Position. Is it ok to install a std. 5 prong relay to do this ? .... would you suggest something ....... i'm thinking 12- volts on # 30 - # 86 to Key run, # 85 to Grd. and # 87 to Headlights and # 87a to the running lights. Does that sound about right, any information would be appreciated. Thanks ........ Ron.
Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  

You can only have output voltage to either 87 or 87a, not both. The way you suggest wiring the relay will have output to terminal 87. You'll need a second relay for the running lights.  

Ron_toolman 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
Hoptup32 wrote:

You can only have output voltage to either 87 or 87a, not both. The way you suggest wiring the relay will have output to terminal 87. You'll need a second relay for the running lights.

Thanks Hoptup32 ....... your right, what was i thinking. Do you think i could use the same Relay to operate Both, park and headlights ? ........ Thanks.
Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  

Technically, if you used a large amp relay, you could physically run the headlights and the running lights at the same time.

But what do you want to happen when you switch to high beams? The low beams should be switched off, unless you have four seperate headlight lens.  You would need some means of switching between the low beams and high beams, which is usually performed using the dimmer switch or a second relay.  By wiring the running lights and low beam headlights together on one relay, when the low beams switched off the running lights would go off too. 

Another downside to having both lights come on when the key is first turned on, is that the lights will be taking cranking power from the battery while competing with the starter.  Ideally, this would work better if you had a small time delay, say 5-6 seconds, between when you first turn the key on, until you could start the engine, then have the running lights and headlight relay activate.

Do your running lights come on now when your driving around during the day?  When you turn on the headlights with the headlight switch, do the running lights go out?  If so, you could tap into the running light line and have it activate a relay that would turn on the low beam headlights when the running lights are on.  Then when you turned on the headlights with the headlight switch, the low beams and high beam headlights would function normally.

soulcatcher 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2005 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
 you need seperate relays for parking lights , high beams, and low beams i have done this to avoid running too much current through the switch with high powered "offroad" lights
soulcatcher

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic