icon

Speaker and Amp recommendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jadamson76 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 7:10 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Infinity system in it. The system sounds good but I think it would sound even better if I replaced the factory speakers and amp with aftermarket speakers and amp. Could someone please give me some recommendations of what speakers and amp would be best to use. Thanks!
                    Jerry
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 7:26 PM / IP Logged  
Either the most expensive or cheapest their is. You need to listen to speakers first and then purchase them based on how they sound to your ears, for fit in the vehicle and budget. An amp of 30-60 watts rms x 4 is more than enough for power. I like MB Quart for good speakers, to add to this line I would also consider Focal, Macrom, Morel and to a lesser degree Infinity and Eclipse.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 21, 2005 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  
The lowest-end speakers I would go with are definately Infinity Kappas. Really good sound for their price, with crystal-clear highs, and very good lows. Plus who can beat a 3 year warranty?
MB Quart, as mentioned above, and Boston Acoustics are good choices too.
Give us a price range, and maybe we can come up with some amplifier ideas.
~wayland
johnnyb1231 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
in all honesty i would say go with the panasonic head unit... i forget themodel but its 70wx4 so it defeats the 4 channel amp and ive been a major fan of the jbl touring series speakers... relatively cheap at 119 a pair but sound great
johnnyb1231 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  
but that head unit retails around 500
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
I disagree with that advice. A separate amplifier will beat headunit power every time. "High power" head units are a joke, in my opinion.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
shoelesscraig 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 9:05 PM / IP Logged  

JohnnyB....BTW, that 70x4 you're talking about is MAX power, not RMS power.  The amp power that we are talking about is 30-60 watts RMS, easily 2  times more than the head unit you describe.  There is no such thing as a head unit that puts out 70 watts RMS per channel.  The 70x4 you describe is probably about 30 watts RMS per channel, not 70.

Jadamson76, definitely go with a 4 channel amp and upgraded speakers if you want loud and clear sound.  I'm not gonna go throwing around name brands until we get a price range.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  
Actually, shoelesscraig, the Panasonic HU he is referring to really DOES do 50 watts per channel. They incorporate switching power supplies and class "T" output devices. At CES 2004, I saw one of their HUs hooked to four 4 ohm speakers, driving all four, with an oscilloscope monitoring the output of one channel. The point of visible clipping was just over 51 watts per channel. I was TOTALLY amazed, and I continue to recommend these HUs to anybody wanting to upgrade their HU without adding an amplifier.
You are right, there is no such thing as a HU that puts out 70wpc RMS, but there ARE units that will do a real world 50...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
It's nice to know I'm not the only sucker for Panasonic's Head Units...
They have a really nice lineup..
In any case though,  I'd still pick a 4 channel amplifier over a head-units...  It just seems more "natural"
~wayland
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  
Wow. Interesting. I suspect they are relatively clean when not pushed too.
Technology like that stands to shake up the industry a bit.
I want to see TINY 2 and 4 channel class "T" amplifiers. No bass boost or crossover circuitry - only a gain control.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic