icon

Need help with wiring tips.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
blg748 
Copper - Posts: 194
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  
OK currently i have 2gauge running to trunk and a 10guage. My 2guage is running to my Phoeinx Gold Tantrum T500.2 60AFUSE on the amp. 80A inline. Then my 10gauge is running to my ALPINE MRVT320. THis amp is going to be gone and replaced with my Phoenix Gold Tantrum T300.2 To do my components. It will draw 30A of current.
I have 2 options as i see it
2guage into a distro feed the 500.2 a 4guage and the 300.2 a 8guage (short run should be fine).
My other option is screw the distro blocks and extra wiring and buy a new 4guage amp kit off ebay for about 40cdn. The way i see is it buy the time i buy the distro blocks and ring terminals and the wiring locally, 2/foot 4guage, i can just buy a full amp kit from ebay. The 2guage wiring is kinda cheap but very thick in the coating it was a POwer Acoustic amp kit with 2 guage power and ground. What would you guys suggest i do i have 2 weeks to decide because my t300.2 is in for repair and will take 2 weeks to fix. So thats enough time for a 4guage kit to arrive from ebay. i think i can get the distro blocks for free from my friend but then wiring i need about 10ft of 4guage adn then ring terminals should cost me around 35bux incl tax cdn.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
2g to the distro block gets my vote.
I really don't see any value in the other option.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
blg748 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
ok if i do 2g to distro. Do I split it into 2 4g out or have 4g for the 500.2 amp and 8g for the 300.2 ?
oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
I would think two 4gauge would be better.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 2:21 PM / IP Logged  
The way I learned the proper guage estimate is, the power and ground is like your amp's breathing tube, if you limit your own breathing tube to the size of a straw, then you wouldn't be too comfortable. 

That and I learned a terrible lesson back when I was 16 when I ran an 800 watt amp on 10 guage wire and had a little short circuit which turned the power wire into a kind of a fuse and burned an thick line into everything it touched, including the top of my battery, and coolant resovior, but for some reason none of the in-line fuses I installed every 2 and ahalf feet on the line blew (probably another hasty decision where I did not install the proper fuses).
After everything was said and done, I ripped everything out and reinstalled it to make sure that there wer no mistakes that would ruin all of the time and money I put in my system or Blazer

It takes a serious mistake when you are young (hopefully) to make you realize that attention to detail and not speed of installation is the most important aspect of all.  This was my first install and I was really excited to get everything in my truck as soon as possible, so I cut too many corners and regreted it as I had to put the fire out on my truck at a gas station with a fire extinguisher.

Since then I have made my own general rule of thumb, which is, if the amp is over 30A or 300 Watts, I use nothing smaller than 8g or most of the time 4g, and always check the pwer rating of my fuses (which I install almost everywhere I can)

I am not saying that you will run into the same problem, because you are allowing plenty of breathing room for your amps, and you definetely sound like you know what you are doing, Ignore all of the rambling I did above, it is just a horror story, and I am sure that a few people in here have at least had their own or know of anothe. but in short I would definetely go with 4 for both; that way if you need to add more power, you have a little more room.
eh? what did you just say?
blg748 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
so its a done deal keep 2guaeg run it into a distro and split it into two 4 outs. ill run my groundns into a distro too then.
ty 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  
yeah 2 to distro then to 4 is a good idea, also if you are ever curious about how much amperage your wire will pass through the alloted gauge wire in the upper left side of this page there is a link that says power and ground read it.  I would not run a distribution block of one ground for both amps, ground each amp seperately.
blg748 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
ok will do it this weekend i hate local stores 2.99CDN for a god damn terminal i might as well go to the electronics store and buy the 2 ring terminals for 1.99 for 2 then buy another pack and cut it into a spade shape is this fine ?its ghetto but terminals are a rip off.
ty 
Copper - Posts: 137
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  
yeah thats cool, ghetto, but I have been there before myself, money is money.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic