shltplease 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged  
My specs...
2004 Chevy Silverado Extended Cab 4x4
JL 250/1
JL 300/4
I am planning an install in my truck. I am planning on putting the above amps behind the back seat on the rear firewall. As the title suggests I am considering routing the amps power wire and ground under the cab. I will enter the cab through the floor using grommets to protect the wires. While under the cab I will run the wires through conduit to protect them from any kind of nasties that may want to come in contact with them. Everything will be tied up & secured inside the C channel frame with the rest of the vehicles factory wiring.
I have read people doing it this way. I have also read people saying absolutely do not do it this way. I have never heard/read why?
Can anyone see a problem with this? Does anyone have any negative/positive experience with doing the wiring this way?
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
No issues with doing this provided the wires are properly secured  / protected from debris that may come up. Most if not all wire is waterproof and temperature extreme resistant. Again make sure that the wire is properly protected, I would run the wire inside of an armored cable, found at some commercial electrical stores and maybe the odd Home Depot.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
I run my power cable underneath the truck, but I have it bolted to the frame, so it's not going anywhere. I also made sure to keep it from all moving parts.
Paul
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 4:55 AM / IP Logged  
I've done a few cars like that also. No problems from any of them.  
'85 Toy
soundmasta 
Silver - Posts: 246
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged  
yeah. it's ok. just pay attention to detail.
wayland1985 
Silver - Posts: 353
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
Home depot or Lowes has a Thick plastic flexible (well, fairly flexible) conduit in their electrical aisle.  It's a blue color, with no splits down the center..... Running the wire through the C channel with that Blue conduit would probably be safer that even running it under the carpet (nobody to step on it!).
Just don't buy cheap split-loom.....and you'll be fine
~wayland
deocder 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 10:37 PM / IP Logged  
I've seen some installs that run the wire inside of armored conduit / greenfield. It too can be found at Home Depot or Lowes. The nice thing about that stuff is that you can use the same pass through connectors that the electricians use to wire into a junction box. Nice and clean....
WTB: Black Leather Acura GSR seats
shltplease 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 8:33 AM / IP Logged  
amp's power wire outside the cabin? -- posted image.
I assume this is what you are talking about. That is my plan so far. I will attach it to the frame rail inside the channel with metal d clips.
Thanks everyone for your information.
big-al 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
 i own a ford transit van with 2x 9515DD  subs and 2 x1800watt amps  i have had to use o guage cable. i had to run it under the van has long as it's safe it's ok
bass it to bits baby

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic