Paranoid/water damage to box

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kingpin111 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 11:17 PM / IP Logged  

me again.

anybody else paranoid about moisture damage to their box from either water seeping from the top of your trunk on to the box are just moisture in general.

anything i can do other than wrapping the box in fibreglass.

i was thinking of painting it with a sealer thats used for waterproofing walls in a house when you have moisture, like on basement walls.

i was also thinking of putting something on an angle from the top of the inside of the trunk on an angle past the box,  so if any water drips inside it will run down past the box and amplifier.

or am i just too paranoid.

thanks

kingpin

Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 11:22 PM / IP Logged  
if you have a water leakage problem, seal the trunk itself to prevent it properly.
2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  
Or say screw it and put Flipper in the trunk. You can do multiple things but I would start by fixing the leak, next you can resin the box (without fibreglass) or use spray on boxliner as well.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  
Fix the source of the problem. If you have direct water running on the box you have problems.
However, I wouldn't be too nervous about simple moisture. I've stored raw sheets of MDF in our garage for over a year - plenty moist and humid in there. I was a little worried about expansion of the MDF - but over a year later there has been 0 measurable (by my means) warping or expansion. This tweaked my curiousity so I cut off a small piece and soaked it in water with the hose and left it laying in a pool of water overnight.
Only the very edges where the wood was cut expanded. Even then they barely expanded. Use a thin layer of sealant around the raw edges before you carpet that giant box of yours and you should have no problems.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  

And you can mount the box on cleats and install an umbrella over it.  And just to be sure, install a dehumidifier in the trunk.

Paranoid/water damage to box -- posted image.

kingpin111 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  

there is no leak in the trunk.

like i said its just paranoia.

just want to be safe than sorry, in case i decide i have to open the trunk in a terrential down pour.Paranoid/water damage to box -- posted image.

the boxliner spray, are you talking about the stuff they use in the beds of trucks. or is this a speaker box spray.

any idea where i can get it.

thanks

kingpin

kingpin111 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  

u guys are f#%king hilariousParanoid/water damage to box -- posted image.

flipper, that was good.

but i like the idea of the dehumidifier and the umbrella.

kingpin

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2005 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
The truck bed liner in a spray can sucks for truck beds but works nice for boxes. It would water proof it and even dampen vibrations a little. Wally World has it I beleave.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic