icon

Which Woofer is better and why?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pimpincavy 
Silver - Posts: 880
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
Take a look at the Adire Shiva. Sure they dont have any fancy chrome, by they will sound MUCH better then the Audiobahn, or the other 2 subs you listed, and I think you will be impressed by teh specs as well.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
Don't purchase based on specs.  Specs can lie, or be meaningless in your application.  Or, as Steven points out, not be comparable since there are NO established industry standards.  Purchase ANY speaker based on the ones you like the sound of the most.  Go to shops and listen to your target speakers installed in your target enclosure type and make up your mind that way.
Support the12volt.com
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:

Just animal testing.  DB to them means "Dead Bunny", which happens when bunnies  stare too long at flashy chrome flames. Which Woofer is better and why? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

That is hillarious, you just gave me a new way to test my SPL without one of those expensive meters that have to be re-calibrated everytime they are looked at; I will just put a couple of bunnies in my front seat and keep turning it up until they die.  I know it's terrible, but hey, if Audibahn can do it, so can I.

But seriously, DYohn is right, never purchase a brand based on what you hear about it, purchase it on what you hear from it, and if you go to one of the larger stores (circuit city/best buy) try to remain completely objective and base your opinions on what makes your internal organs move, but so they can still understand the words through all that flesh and bone, not what someone tells you, you should buy.

Specs are all good and fun, but really aren't important because so many companies will rate their subs differently.  The only thing I will ever use the specs for is when I am building an enclosure, otherwise, I let my ears and liver be the judge.
eh? what did you just say?
ArKineX 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  
HAH!
Dead Bunnies bad! Ok got it! I like the Shiva 12" Sub that pimpincavy suggested. Nice Speaker, but he's right. It looks like an old school speaker. Not flashy or anything. The price is right too ($119-$125). Just the Ohms is a bit weird though (Dual 8 ohms). So DVC in parallel to get 4 ohms. But got to find a good amp to pump that bad boy.
Also, I was wanting to get away from a 12" sub and get a 10" to cut down on space, but that company does not have a Shinva in that size (but they have the Brahma10 which is really expensive...~$320-$340...but it sounds like a winner!!!).
Any 10" Sub recommendations that would be great for a ported (vented) box design that does not take up a ton of room and would run great @ 450 - 600W RMS?
Let me know guys!
I know you say to go test out subs at a Car Audio store or a place like Best Buy, but I would like to know what you guys find to be a good one to try out.
You guys have been very helpful!!   THank you!
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

As long as you know that the parameters are accurate, the parameters can tell you something of what to expect if you know how to read them.  An example, a large Vas driver will generally require a larger enclosure for a given alignment.  A lower Fs will generally have a lower frequency extention for a given alignment.  A speaker with a high Qts. (.6 and above) won't work well in a ported enclosure, and a low Qts. sub (.3 and below) shouldn't be used in a sealed or IB enclosure.  Of course there are exceptions to the above.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know about the wattage requirement... but you shouldn't focus too much on that anyway.  Good 10" drivers for small boxes I would look at - the Koda 10" by Adire.  Arc Audio (forget the model) 10".  Image Dynamics IDQ 10". I bought mine precisely because I was able to run it in a tiny box while retaining sound quality. 

Having said that - if I were to buy my subwoofer again I would probably push for a 12" - all the drivers I mentioned roll off relatively early.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Steven Kephart 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 5:07 PM / IP Logged  

joebobcletusjr wrote:
I will just put a couple of bunnies in my front seat and keep turning it up until they die. 

But then that would only be 2 dB.  You haven't even come close to breaking the noise floor.  Which Woofer is better and why? - Page 2 -- posted image. 

Anyway, sorry for the kinda bad taste joke. 

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Steven Kephart 
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 5:11 PM / IP Logged  

ArKineX wrote:
HAH!
Dead Bunnies bad! Ok got it! I like the Shiva 12" Sub that pimpincavy suggested. Nice Speaker, but he's right. It looks like an old school speaker. Not flashy or anything. The price is right too ($119-$125). Just the Ohms is a bit weird though (Dual 8 ohms). So DVC in parallel to get 4 ohms. But got to find a good amp to pump that bad boy.
Also, I was wanting to get away from a 12" sub and get a 10" to cut down on space, but that company does not have a Shinva in that size (but they have the Brahma10 which is really expensive...~$320-$340...but it sounds like a winner!!!).
Any 10" Sub recommendations that would be great for a ported (vented) box design that does not take up a ton of room and would run great @ 450 - 600W RMS?
Let me know guys!
I know you say to go test out subs at a Car Audio store or a place like Best Buy, but I would like to know what you guys find to be a good one to try out.
You guys have been very helpful!!   THank you!

I do want to point out that you really can't go by our current speaker offerings as it will greatly change very soon.  I will say the new offerings will include a 10" Shiva. Which Woofer is better and why? - Page 2 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

ArKineX 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 5:32 PM / IP Logged  
THanx Steven!
I can't wait for the 10" Shiva!
If it is as impressive as the 12" it will be the bomb!
Whn do you think the 10" Shiva will be available?
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
joebobcletusjr wrote:
I will just put a couple of bunnies in my front seat and keep turning it up until they die. 

I am sorry about that joke as well, it was a little inappropriate; that and I could never get my hands on two bunnies - they are too fast for me, maybe one if I am lucky. 

But anyway I have always been a fan of some Rockford Fosgate subs, just because they are rigid, have very high excursion, high power ratings, and some can be put in very small sealed enclosures (I definetely prefer the sound and depth (Bass-wise) of a port, but for SQ sealed may be a good idea to give the sub a good baffle to prevent clipping/distortion).

There is an insane amount of different brands out there and all are different quality, and depending on who you are, choosing the right sub could take a lot of time and mostly fun experimentation.

As I almost always close my posts, some may not agree that Rockford Fosgate is the way to go, it is all a matter of personal opinion. 

I do from time to time give the small, new to the business, companies a try, but that is usually a gamble, although I have found some great subs this way by taking thses chances (still less of a gamble than buying anything car audio from Sony)

PS, I wouldn't hurt small animals, I have two cats, and wouldn't be able to do anything like that to them.
eh? what did you just say?
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic