icon

noob question on wiring relays

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sts15l7 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  

hey whats up guys. i had a little problem. see, i never really worked with relays before, and i plan to do so probably this weekend. i needed some help. i will be buying a 30A relay and for the constant power (pin 87 i blv) ill be attaching a 12 gauge wire. could someone explain to me how i can do this (physically)? as in is there any hardware that i can use to attach the wire to the relay pin, or is it just through electrical tape (which doesnt seem right noob question on wiring relays -- posted image.)

thank you all

-mir

Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  

No, you can't use electrical tape!  You'll need several 1/4-inch female disconnect couplers to attach the wires to, which will connect to the male blades on the relay.  Pin 87a would be the constant power terminal, when the relay is not activated. Pin 87 is usually hot once the relay is activated.

If you describe what your trying to use the relay for, maybe someone here can give you more information on how the relay should be wired up.

sts15l7 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 2:50 AM / IP Logged  

thanks hotup...the thing is i was speaking from memory and so i didnt remember. i understand that there are five pins (constant 12v, turn-on [12v], ground, accessories, 'empty'). im gonna be using it to turn on my tvs, fm modulator, and cd changer in my car. the turn-on 12v will be the remote lead. do u know where i can find these female disconnect couplers? the relay that i plan on buying is from the cardomain store ( www.cardomain.com). let me find a better link...( http://www.cardomain.com/sku/SOUIECRL30) thats a better one. so yeah...thanks...much appreciated

-mir

sts15l7 
Member spacespace
sts15l7 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
do i just use some small screws to attach the female disconnect to the male blade on the relay?
Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 8:04 PM / IP Logged  

You don't need small screws.  The 1/4-inch female connectors slide onto the male blades of the relay.  They are a snug fit, so they will stay on by themselves.  The connectors in your post above are not exactly what you would want to use on a relay.  Any auto parts store should carry a small pack of wire crimp 1/4-inch female connectors. You should be able to purchase them in packs of 6-10 for $2-$3.  Or you could order relay plugs. They are easier than the crimp connectors, but cost alittle more.

Here is an example plug:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=9685&CAtid=47

sts15l7 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 27, 2005 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

yeah, i think ill just buy the plug for it. itll prolly be easier to just crimp those wires anyway

thanks guys

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic