icon

how to wire LED to come on at 100% thrott

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skarteez 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 2:14 PM / IP Logged  

in my 2004 civic, i want to wire an LED to come on at 100% throttle.  in the throttle position sensor, there's a wire that runs from the ECU to the engine (or viceverca) and the signal reaches a strength of 12v when 100% throttle is reached (meaning that the voltage increases and gets closer to 12v as the throttle gets closer to 100%).

how do i wire an LED to comeon ONLY with the 12v signal (only at WOT)?  also, how could i insall something similar with another set voltage level (ie for a shift light?)

Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
Relays my friend, relays. Find a relay that only wirks with +12V and up.
Paul
skarteez 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  
yeah someone else told me that, but he didnt say anything else hehe.  how EXAACTLY should i set this up?  relays are still kinda unclear to me.
skarteez 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
ohyeah one more thing, shiftlights have it so you can set the different voltage levels on the fly (so set different shift points because the posiitonof the needle is determined by varying voltage levels in the signal of the RPM wire).  is there something i can find at radio shack that can do that?  i can use a multimeter from school to determine voltage levels at different RPMS, just gotta find some thing to setup the circuit...
Francious70 
Silver - Posts: 629
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  
That's actually all I can tell you. Shoot forbidden a pm and ask him, he should be able to help you more.
Paul
skarteez 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  
aite thanks!!!
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
A simple relay will not work as most relays will activate with less than 12volts. What you need is a low voltage trigger, something that is desinged to send a signal out either + or - when 12volts is present on the TPS. Some of these triggering devices more than likely can have a set or adjustable input voltage range. When I have some time I'll do some digging to see what I can come up with.  Try looking at PAC and Soundgate for starters and a search for low voltage triggers.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
skarteez 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
yay finally a step in the right direction.  thanks!
xaudiopipex 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 10:15 PM / IP Logged  
install a full throttle nitrous switch, that would be more fun
ozzy dave 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 02, 2005 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
what xaudiopipex said is actually a much easier thing to do... you simply mount a pin switch on the throttle to be puhed only on %100 full throttle... then you can use this to open circuit a relay and give you your trigger to turn on the LED...

'91 4AGTE TOYOTA COROLLA
145.3KW ATW @6500rpm on 15psi
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic