the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Downfiring enclosure: To the wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, you continue changing the number till it gets into the green area. The red indicates (probably - I don't use the program, so this is a guess) that the speed of the air in the port is going supersonic - faster than sound, and this will cause port noise. If this is indeed the case, you need to make the port bigger, so the air moves slower through it.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 5:27 PM / IP Logged  
So you can really bend a port? Well, i tried doing a square port on there, and it took me almost a 5"x5" to get it into the green. That is huge. I tried 2 separate 2.5" square ports and it was in the green, although each port lenth exceeded 13". hm....
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 5:45 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, you can bend a port.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 5:46 PM / IP Logged  
are you supposed to bend the port even though it goes all the way to the back of the box and then you have to bend it? What should i build this port out of?
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 5:56 PM / IP Logged  
Well i figured out how wide the port is. I'm using two of the ports, each  2.1"x2.1" (Square) in diameter. How deep should i build them in? I always build sealed boxes, so i've ne ver screwed around with building a ported. Usually, i have them built. This is my first stab at it.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know what version you have that shows green and red, but the air velocity needs to be less than 1/10 the speed of sound.  So as long as the graph "Air Velocity" shows less than 100 ft/second at the maximum wattage you will get to you'll be good to go.  Ft./sec numbers are along the left of the graph vertical; freqency is along the bottom horizontal.

http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=4

http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=31

uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
How deep should i build it? What should i build them out of? (Ports that is)
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic