icon

2005 Honda Odyssey, stereo severe feedbac

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TriHonda 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  
You might be referring to the ANC system of the 05 Odyssey (Active Noise Cancelation). It negates noise generated by engine vibrations and road surfaces by emitting a low frequency "anti-noise" sound through the Odyssey's sound system. I've heard on other forums, this noise is a low freqency "subwoofer" sound. Aledgedly, the ANC emits sound frequencies near 50hz. I've also heard the VCM (variable cylinder management) system, that shuts down 3 of the 6 cylinders to save mpg, is one of the reasons for the ANC, since the VCM activation causes a lot of engine vibrations. The Touring also has special liquid filled engine mounts for this purpose as well.. Adding a large (or powerful) amplified sub to your system might be the cause of your noise.  I bet you'd have better luck disabling the ANC (which I've heard done on other forums by snipping a wire somewhere).  Good luck and post updates. Try www.odyclub.com for more insight.  
Talentco 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: March 06, 2005 at 9:04 PM / IP Logged  

Great to read your post...  At this point I had already concluded that it was the ANC system that causes the interference; in fact now that I've removed my entire post market system, I'm still able to hear the feed back in the factory sub woofer.

Since the factory sub basically has no space and doesn't have to much amplification, it's basically unaudible to the average person.  You wouldn't know it's happening unless you were told to listen for it.  I hear it only because of what happend before and also that I'm an audio engineer and I've got a critical ear.

Anyways.. I've kind of written off re-installing the system.  I'm glad you posted, I didn't know if anyone had run into this same issue anywhere else.  It's good to hear that there is a solution. 

I'm going to do more research and maybe we'll go at it again..
I'll post if I do a re-install.

thanks again

oonikfraleyoo 
Gold - Posts: 1,069
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2005 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  
I find it funny that instead of engineering a motor that doesn't sound like a freight train, Honda added a white noise machine to cover it up. lol.
Nik
Jeeputer Progress
[|||||||||||-] 90%
Check it out.
jasonmerrick 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 07, 2005 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  

Talentco,

I had this same problem. Fortunately for me, the shop foreman at my local Honda dealer (Keyes Honda, Woodland Hills, CA) was very helpful. He went online to Honda's website and accessed the wiring schematics for the Active Engine Mount system which is the system that sends the audio feed to the Active Noise Control system and the audio system. He found the one wire that sent this signal in a wiring harness that is right above the parking brake (pictured below). Unfortunately, he was the one who did the work and didn't show me exactly which wire he clipped, but I am sure if you took this picture to your dealer and this post, they will be able to locate the wire in the schematics and clip it. I am pretty sure it was a pink wire. This immediately solved the problem. As a side note, we test-drove the van afterwards and even with the stereo off, I could hear no odd noises when the ECO mode activated. I think the ANC is more of a gimmick then an actual necessary feature of the van.

I hope you will use this info and re-install your system. It is definitely worth it! I also installed an 8" JL sub in an old enclosure I already had. It fit nicely under the center tray between the front seats.

2005 Honda Odyssey, stereo severe feedbac - Page 3 -- posted image.

Talentco 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: March 08, 2005 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  

Jason,

Thanks for the great post and picture...

I'm assuming you ran into the same feedback in your JL sub as I did...

Did you update everything?  What did you update to besides the JL 8"

Thanks

OJ

jasonmerrick 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 09, 2005 at 3:43 AM / IP Logged  

I was on a pretty tight budget, but I HAD to do some minimal upgrades. Surprisingly, the sound is decent and the volume can go fairly loud without distorting even though the speakers are running off the head unit.

Removed the plastic tray under the front passenger's seat and installed the Alpine amp in it's place. Two screws holding it in place, all controls are accessible.

This picture is taken from the passenger's door, leaning in towards the dash so you can see the front of the 8" JL Microsub. You can't really see it when sitting in either front seat unless you lean forward and are looking for it. I also usually have a big 150 cd wallet leaning in front of it blocking the view completely.

The sub BARELY fits under the tray. I used a small block of wood to prop up the left side so that the sub isn't extending out of the box and hitting the carpet. Not a perfect match for the interior, but not too bad either considering I bought it in '95 and this is the 3rd vehicle I have installed it in.

I didn't take any pictures of the upgraded speakers as the grilles don't really show much.

Equipment list:

Front Speakers: Infinity 6002i 2-way $59.96

Rear Speakers: Kenwood 3-way KFC1679IE $39.99
Subwoofer: 8" JL Microsub (already owned)
Subwoofer Amplifier: Alpine MRPT220 $89.99

I got pretty big discounts on all of the equipment because I had just been to Circuit City and told the guy at Good Guys the total price they had offered. They didn't have the exact same models for everything, so he picked the closest matches and then discounted away until he got to the price I had given him from Circuit City.

Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic