icon

Image of My Graph On WinISD

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrmsudawgs 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 10:07 PM / IP Logged  
I have two subwoofers ploted on this graph. The yellow line is Alpine SWR-1041D and the silver line is an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10. Both are 10 inchs subs. Box volume is 0.98 cubic feet for both and the tuning freq. is 32 HZ.
Will someone please take a look and tell me which speaker is performing better in my box and please explain how you know. I'm new at WinISD.
Thanks!
Mike
Image of My Graph On WinISD - Last Post -- posted image.
Sancho 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
i think your picture is too small Image of My Graph On WinISD - Last Post -- posted image., can't see anything
Head Unit:Alpine CDA 9835
6.5 MB Quart Pce 210
Amp:JBL 80.4
Amp:JBL 1200.1
Sub:Adire Brahma 12 MKII
mrmsudawgs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 23, 2005 at 11:35 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry about that. I copied the graph to a web page at full resolution. Here is the link.
Mike
WinISD Comparison Graph
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  
There mightf be a T/S value for Le listed for the Infinity but not for the Alpine....the higher freqs start to curve down on one and not the other.  But you are only interested in the range starting low and going to about 100 Hz for subs.  Both of these graphs look good, both having a F3 at about 30 Hz.  I wouldn't kick either one of them outa bed.  Either would be good for a box tuned to 32 Hz, so you can judge them now by listening to their tone.
mrmsudawgs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  
Is F3 the frequency at which the curves fall below -3dB (which from what I have read is "rumble noise" below that point)?
Both speakers have the same F3 and both cross 0 dB at about the same point but the Infinity speaker peaks at about +2 dB and stays there between the ranges of 50 to 100 Hz. The Alpine sub is between 0 and 1 dB betwee 50 and 100 Hz. How do I interpet this difference in curves? Does this mean that at the same input power level, the Infinity will be about 2 dB louder than the Alpine sub between 50 and 100 Hz?
Thanks,
Mike
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 8:56 AM / IP Logged  
Rumble noise wouldn't occur until below 20 Hz, and you should have a subsonic filter engaged to take it out when using a vented enclosure.  The 2 db difference in the two subs wouldn't be noticeable and you shouldn't base a decision on criteria like that.  Like I said above, you're at the point where analyzing the WinISD program graph won't get you any further....it's time to judge the subs by their tone.  That means you have to listen to them.  Assuming you still have to purchase one of them, you would judge the sound quality by a listening test at your local dealer.
mrmsudawgs 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 12:19 PM / IP Logged  
Okay. I'm beginning to understand now. However, I do wonder this - if both curves are "good" curves, what then would a "bad" curve look like?
Thanks!
Mike
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  

Well - if one sub rolled off well higher than the other.  Or if the response was really peaked due to a sub not working with your desired application. 

I also find the SPL graph instructive.  This will allow you to compare relative efficiency levels of the woofers applied to an amount of wattage. 

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic