replacing stock vacuum formed door vinyl

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kadams4458 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  

Here's a good one. (I hope.)

The stock door panels in my car are molded ABS plastic which have vinyl stretched over them. They've also developed cracks in the top of each panel, near the middle of the door from flexing when the door is pushed open which has resulted in tearing the vinyl covering. About a year ago I attempted to repair and reinforce the panel to prevent future cracking, and it would seem that my attempt was successful, but I still have torn vinyl. I'd like to attempt stretching fresh heat-form vinyl over the panels to restore them to like-new condition.

Please note... I already thought of purchasing a pair of door panels at the salvage yard. They all have cracks in the same spot. Design flaws are fun like that. I'm also not going to pay $380 each for new panels from the dealer that will just break in the same place after three years.

So, A while back I decided the best way to go about restoring my door panels would be to just replace all of the vinyl. Makes sense, right? (Work with me, I'm deluded.) I've had some trouble finding information, or even individuals experienced with this sort of project.

Has any one here done this kind of work before?

Are there any places besides Select Products that sell heat form-able vinyl and heat setting adhesives? I'd hate to not be able to shop around.

Lastly, am I getting in over my head? I've successfully reupholstered automotive seats in the past and re-dyed dashes, etc, but I've never tried stretching vinyl over anything like a door panel.

Keith C. Adams
justtegit 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
a little OT but what car do you have that has this design flaw?
kadams4458 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  

justtegit wrote:
a little OT but what car do you have that has this design flaw?

It's a '93 Saturn coupe. All 91-96 Saturn coupes have the same problem. Kinda stinks, but it's easy enough to remedy with some aluminum plate and some strong epoxy. It starts out as a split beneath the window trim at the top of the panel where you can't see it, and the next thing you know a two inch long split in the vinyl has appeared at the top of your door panel.

Keith C. Adams

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic