Overloaded speakers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
d43m05 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
Howdy,
I'm currently installing a Pioneer DEH-P2400 head into my '03 Cavalier. The installation itself went smooth, mounting, wiring, running the switched 12 volt lead.
The problem is, when i turn the volume past 10 (1/3rd),
the OEM speakers crackle like the head unit is going to blow the voice coils through the doors.
I'd like to know whats going on. I've been told by one person (an audio installer at best buy) that the OEM speakers just cant handle the added power from the pioneer head.
Is this true? If so, I already have a full set of 4x6 and 6x9s from a previous car, all Orions. I'm just reluctant to install the high end speakers and still experience the same problem.
Thanks in advance
Daemos
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  
You used the proper wiring harness?
d43m05 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
yes, the wiring harness is the proper one, Metra, 71-2003-1. All the wiring was properly done, with soldered connections throughout.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 9:37 PM / IP Logged  
Okay, instead of risking your good speakers you could try a pair of cheap coaxials on the fronts (no need to install) in place of the OEMs.  Aftermarket speakers would handle more power than OEM.  Set the fade to front and see if the same thing happens.  But I wouldn't think that an aftermarket deck would have so much more power than the factory deck had.  I would look the deck up but Pioneer's site is not lurker-friendly.
d43m05 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 9:53 PM / IP Logged  
the pioneer head is a 160x4 = 40/channel.
the OEM head was, i believe 12 watts/channel.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
Put bass blockers on the oem speakers. They will improve the speakers' power handling dramatically.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
The pioneer is probobly putting out around 16 to 18 watts RMS pre channel at best. That is what most aftermarket head unit's RMS output is.
vinspo 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2005 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
GM uses some 2ohm speakers in their systems, which could be putting an extra load on the head unit. 
d43m05 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
okay so basically the speakers arent being overpowered, but the head is being overloaded.
Replacing the OEM speakers would be my best option then, for me at least, considering i have a full set of 4 ohm speakers.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  

He didn't say that's what is ACTUALLY was - he that that is what it COULD be. 

Bass blockers will still help.  Buy them.

New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic