icon

93 Buick Century Trunk Light

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spokman 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  

I'm trying to set my alarm to go off when the trunk is opened but for the life of me I can't figure out how Buick makes the light in the trunk go on. There is one wire that is orange going to the light. It does not goto any switch that I can find. That's it. No swich on the trunk. Light is grounded. I'm baffled. How does the light know when the trunk is open. I'm tempted to lock myself in the trunk and see if the light really goes off!! LOL!

Thanks!!

brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
I know the '91 Riviera uses a switch right at the trunk pull down latch- so check there- or look in side the light lens- could be a mercury switch inside it....
Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
spokman 
Copper - Posts: 75
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 25, 2005 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I'll just have to keep looking. Crazy Buick. I swear at the engineers constantly and pray for the day when I own a Toyota.
CutDog504 
Silver - Posts: 637
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 26, 2005 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
Its similar to a mercury switch. Is it a light socket screwed directly to the trunk lid? There is a metal ball inside the actual light socket that rolls when the trunk is opened. When it moves, it makes the electrical contact to turn on the light. To prove this, you can unscrew the light from the trunklid and connect a jumper wire to ground it. Then move it around and you will see that it will turn off when lying horizontal, but turn on when you tilt it. So basically, you cant tap in to use it as a trunk trigger. You have to install a mercury switch or a pinswitch.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic